Names

  • juditheileen21
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 8, 2010
      Greetings,

      When you get back from GWW and have unpacked, washed and rested....

      The Academy of St. Gabriel has a list of Japanese women's names. How do I find out what the names mean?

      Thanks,
      Eileen
    • Ellen Badgley
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 10, 2010
        Greetings,

        Do you have a link to the page on the Academy website? If there is a
        particular one you are considering, or a particular meaning you would like
        to go for, I and my husband (and other members of the list, I am sure) would
        be happy to help find if there is a historically appropriate name available!

        It would be helpful if the kanji/characters were available, as they are
        important to the meaning.

        Solveig Throndardottir's "Name Construction in Medieval Japan" is probably
        the best historical name resource available, if your local Herald has a
        copy...

        YIS,
        Abe Akirakeiko
        On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 12:53 PM, juditheileen21
        <judith.eileen@...>wrote:

        > Greetings,
        >
        > When you get back from GWW and have unpacked, washed and rested....
        >
        > The Academy of St. Gabriel has a list of Japanese women's names. How do I
        > find out what the names mean?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Eileen

      • Eileen Young
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 10, 2010
          The link is : http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi/3001.txt
          This is the list of 14th-16th C women's names. The Kanji characters are not listed. I was wondering if there was a site available that I could use to see what the names mean. (Easy to use, hopefully) More curiosity than anything else. Since the kanji seem to be important and I don't have that, I will not worry about it. I read in the Japanese Miscellany that all the Japanese names have a meaning and I was curious. I am looking for a flower or plant name (if I like to looks of the flower or plant) to use with a clan name but I am in no hurry. I'm too new to the study of Japanese medieval culture to hurry.
          Thank you.
          Eileen

          > To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
          > From: flyingrat42@...
          > Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 22:14:45 +0900
          > Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] Names
          >
          > Greetings,
          >
          > Do you have a link to the page on the Academy website? If there is a
          > particular one you are considering, or a particular meaning you would like
          > to go for, I and my husband (and other members of the list, I am sure) would
          > be happy to help find if there is a historically appropriate name available!
          >
          > It would be helpful if the kanji/characters were available, as they are
          > important to the meaning.
          >
          > Solveig Throndardottir's "Name Construction in Medieval Japan" is probably
          > the best historical name resource available, if your local Herald has a
          > copy...
          >
          > YIS,
          > Abe Akirakeiko
          > On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 12:53 PM, juditheileen21
          > <judith.eileen@...>wrote:
          >

          > > Greetings,
          > >
          > > When you get back from GWW and have unpacked, washed and rested....
          > >
          > > The Academy of St. Gabriel has a list of Japanese women's names. How do I
          > > find out what the names mean?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Eileen

        • JL Badgley
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 10, 2010
            On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 11:26 PM, Eileen Young
            <judith.eileen@...> wrote:

            > The link is :  http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi/3001.txt
            > This is the list of 14th-16th C women's names.  The Kanji characters are not listed.  I was wondering if there was a site available that I could use to see what the names mean. (Easy to use, hopefully)  More curiosity than anything else.  Since the kanji seem to be important and I don't have that, I will not worry about it.  I read in the Japanese Miscellany that all the Japanese names have a meaning and I was curious.  I am looking for a flower or plant name (if I like to looks of the flower or plant) to use with a clan name but I am in no hurry.  I'm too new to the study of Japanese medieval culture to hurry.
            > Thank you.
            > Eileen

            Okay, so the site you found references Solveig's book on Japanese
            names. The best advice is to find a local herald with a copy, if
            possible. Otherwise, we could potentially help with any given name,
            but going through them all--we'd just be reposting what Lady Solveig
            has already published.