Matcha

  • Bryant Richards
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 26, 2010
      I was wondering what every ones source for getting Matcha is? I have searched
      for over a week online, on the best price per ounce I can find is at
      http://www.nutsonline.com/chocolatessweets/asian/bubble-tea/matcha-green-tea-powder.html

      they also have a premium version that is more. Anyway even with the high
      shipping cost on this site it was cheaper than anywhere else, with the added
      benefit of only taking a few days to get here compared to a few weeks.

      Even after shipping it was only a little over $2 an ounce, where as some places
      I found online was around $6 or more an ounce. If you have an even cheaper
      resource please let me know.

      In Honor and Service,
      Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu
      House Chiburi

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 26, 2010

        > I was wondering what every ones source for getting Matcha is? I
        > have searched
        > for over a week online, on the best price per ounce I can find is at
        > http://www.nutsonline.com/chocolatessweets/asian/bubble-tea/matcha-green-tea-powder.html

        What are you interested in doing with matcha? Matcha varieties
        somewhat resemble wines in that there are a whole bunch of different
        ones. You can find, if you look hard enough, el cheapo matcha for
        about $9.00 a can, but I do not buy that stuff. I buy matcha from

        http://www.tea-passage.com/

        They sell tea from several different tea purveyors (gardens) and
        several varieties from some of those. In the world of matcha, there
        are two basic types. Matcha for making usucha (thin tea) and matcha
        for making koicha (thick tea). The demos that I perform in the Society
        have all been usucha. I recommend "goun no shiro" and, if I recall
        correctly, "hana no shiro".

        Matcha comes from Japan in, hopefully, air tight containers. Ideally
        you refrigerate the stuff until you are ready to open the can and use
        it. The matcha should be de-lumped by being forced through a fine
        sieve prior to use.

        Since matcha comes from Japan, it will generally go into stock and out
        of stock with whomever you buy it from.

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 26, 2010

          > I was wondering what every ones source for getting Matcha is? I
          > have searched
          > for over a week online, on the best price per ounce I can find is at
          > http://www.nutsonline.com/chocolatessweets/asian/bubble-tea/matcha-green-tea-powder.html

          I just checked out the web page which you provided a link for. They do
          not even claim that the substance advertised on that web page is green
          tea. It is a green tea latte mix. The powder contains: fructose, non
          dairy creamer, non fat milk, matcha green tea, natural flavor. The
          order of ingredients on food products is always in order of decreasing
          amounts. Thus, what you are buying is corn syrup solids with some non
          dairy creamer and milk solids. Yes there is some matcha in there.
          Matcha appears as the fourth ingredient right before "natural flavor"
          which may be vanilla or something.

        • LJonthebay
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 26, 2010

            http://www.asakichi.com/main_store.htm in San Francisco isn't cheap, but it's the real deal and they are excellent to deal with. I have to stay out of their incense shop until I go through more of my stash though.

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 26, 2010

              Greetings from Solveig! This message didn't show up on the mailing
              list last night, so I am trying again.

              I thought that I would point out that the vendor you have been
              looking at also sells matcha. However, the link for that product is:

              http://www.nutsonline.com/cookingbaking/powders/green-tea/100-pct-matcha.html

              which costs $17.99 for 8 oz. Green tea from Japan is sold in cans
              measured in grams so your vendor's tea is priced at $17.99 for 222.796
              grams which is a LOT of matcha. About 3 gm of matcha will make a bowl
              of tea. As I recall, a 40 gm can will fill a natsume (tea container)
              and is what I buy for tea demos.

              While I do not plan on using this tea for tea ceremonies, it might be
              a good tea for making tea flavored sweets and other culinary purposes.

              Oh well. I do admit to being a tea snob.