Re: [SCA-JML] Assistance requested

  • Sonny Scott
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 24, 2010
      I have no idea. The pages are uneven, but the typeset seems consistent. The page
      that seems to be removed is directly connected to the title page. The cut also
      cut through part of the content page, so I'm guessing a razor blade of some
      type. The only thing I can think that might be a reason, might be something of a
      personal note. The 45 is hand written in a style that reminds me of pen and ink
      well.

      I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

      There is a book plate in the front of the book with the name "Helen Biddle
      Griscom Bettle"

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 25, 2010
        Amazon.com has a somewhat cryptic listing as they don't actually have the thing in stock:
        http://www.amazon.com/Oriental-Japan-China-Vol-Marquis/dp/B00227B0A8/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1285432376&sr=1-1

        Publisher is listed as J.C. Millet with a publication date of 1900 and an ASIN# of B00227B0A8.

        Googling the ASIN did not help.

        Worldcat.org lists a number of titles by Ito, most in Japanese.

        For what it's worth.

        Saionji no Hanae
        Bibliomaniac
      • Sonny Scott
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 25, 2010
          In English - yes Pottery, 450 pages.

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 25, 2010
            Is there any indication that it's a volume in a larger set? If I had to guess, perhaps you have:

            Volume VIII, Keramic art (450 p)

            I found a digitized copy at:
            http://catalog.hathitrust.org/api/volumes/oclc/989755.html

            (click on v.8)

            I'm finding a series that's referred to as "Oriental Series Japan and China Its History Arts and Literature", or various permutations of that. There are also lots of different "special editions" and "limited print run" versions. I was able to find the 12-volume Marquis Ito edition set (#99/160) at:

            http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=2567589583&searchurl=bsi%3D210%26kn%3Dmarquis%2Bito%26x%3D0%26y%3D0

            You can compare the physical description of their product to what you have. However, there is also an 8-vol Marquis Ito edition catalogued as well, also in a run of 160.

            Looking at WorldCat, I was able to find:

            Japan, its history, arts, and literature.
            F Brinkley <----(Frank Brinkley)

            1901-1902 [****** ed.].
            English Book 12 v. plates (part col.) fold. maps. (part col.) 24 cm.
            Boston, J.B. Millet Co.

            Contents: v. 1-8. Japan, its history, arts, and literature.--v. 9-12. China, its history, arts, and literature.

            Note(s): Folded map inside back cover, v. 12./ Each volume with watercolor reproduction frontispiece./ Includes indexes (v. 8 and 12).

            Note(s): "Limited to one-hundred and sixty numbered and registered copies, of which this is number 85."/ Folded map inside back cover, v. 12./ Each volume with original watercolor frontispiece, executed on silk and inlaid into stiff paper, and an original watercolor on silk crepe mounted on the front and back free end papers./ Includes indexes. (v. 8 and 12).

            ****** - I'm finding lots of different 1901-published editions listed. Some of it might be cataloguing inconsistencies; others might be the publisher trying to push lots of copies. ^_~ So far, I've found:
            * A library edition
            * A special artists' edition
            * The Marquis Ito edition (12 volume set) (limited to 160 copies)
            * The Marquis Ito edition (8 volume set) (limited to 160 copies)
            * The author's edition (limited to 1,000 copies)
            * A memorial edition (limited to 1,000 copies)
            * A 10-volume version "Special Ex Libris, monogram and extra illustrated copy, printed, decorated, and bound for Florence A. Sanborn."/ In slipcases.
            * A Satsuma edition (limited to 500 copies)
            * A very cool Lotus edition (limited to 26 copies) (Limited to twenty-six lettered and registered copies. Letter U."/ Folded map inside back cover, v. 12./ Each volume with original watercolor frontispiece, executed on silk and inlaid into stiff paper, and an original watercolor on silk crepe mounted on the front and back free end papers./ Bound in dark green levant morocco and printed on Japan vellum./ Includes indexes. (v. 8 and 12).
            * The Ambassadors' edition (limited to 750 copies)
            * The Okuma edition (limited to 100 copies)
            * A one-volume salesman's mockup (Salesman's mock-up containing various leaves of the full 12-volume work, bound together./ Bound in red leather, stamped in gold; decorated cloth-covered endpapers; top edge gilt.)
            * The Viceroy edition (limited to 50 copies)
            * A Tokugawa edition
            * And probably more. :oP The J.B. Millet Co. marketers were working hard that year. :o) Not that any of that's really relevant, but I did want to point out (a) that there are two different volume counts for the "Marquis Ito" edition; and (b) that there was a metric ton of "special limited editions" churned out in 1901 and 1902.

            -Deanna

            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Sonny Scott <onesoni@...> wrote:

            > In English - yes Pottery, 450 pages.
          • Elaine Koogler
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 25, 2010
              DROOL............

              Hey, I've got a birthday coming up...sigh...not likely. A little too
              rich for my purse, even though it's a great deal.

              Kiri

              --
              "/It is only with the heart /that one can see clearly; what is essential
              is invisible to the eye."

            • deanna.baran
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 25, 2010
                At least you can download 8/12 PDF's for free at the link below. :o) I think I saw some Googlebooks links in WorldCat as well.

                A lot of old books are being reissued via POD technology, so you can get a cheapie paperback copy for $10/volume through abebooks. Not exactly the same as having morocco leather and gilt on your shelf, and the image quality is always a toss-up for those new reproductions, but you might find the volume that interests you the most and give it a shot. ^_^

                -Deanna

                > DROOL............
                >
                > Hey, I've got a birthday coming up...sigh...not likely. A little too
                > rich for my purse, even though it's a great deal.
                >
                > Kiri
                >
                > On 9/25/2010 4:49 PM, deanna.baran wrote:
                > >
                > > Is there any indication that it's a volume in a larger set? If I had
                > > to guess, perhaps you have:
                > >
                > > Volume VIII, Keramic art (450 p)
                > >
                > > I found a digitized copy at:
                > > http://catalog.hathitrust.org/api/volumes/oclc/989755.html
                > >
                > > (click on v.8)

              • Sonny Scott
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 25, 2010
                  That's it. The 160 run. Book number 45 of 160. Thank you.

                  The book really isn't of interest to me but now I know better what I have.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 1, 2010
                    Thank you -

                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 1, 2010
                      Fascinating. I posted this on Saturday 9/25....

                      > Amazon.com has a somewhat cryptic listing as they don't actually have the thing in stock:
                      > http://www.amazon.com/Oriental-Japan-China-Vol-Marquis/dp/B00227B0A8/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1285432376&sr=1-1

                      SNIPPED