Re: [SCA-JML] Help please!!! im running out of time.

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 16, 2010

      > I am so sorry, but I believe the lady asked for help, no a lecture
      > of what
      > it is or is not, she just stated this is something coming from her
      > and a
      > form of art, is like artistic signature. So, if all she wants is a
      > translation why the long speech? either someone help with it or
      > save the debate for
      > a different time when she is not press with time constrains. Sorry
      > if I
      > sound snappy, I have nothing but respect for all of you and great
      > admiration
      > of your skills and knowledge.

      It sounds like people may be trivializing the translation problem.
      Japanese rhetoric and poetics have conventions which are rather
      different from those in English. The lady in question posted a text
      which is personally meaningful to her in English. It may well have
      employed idiom and other linguistic features which make a good
      translation difficult and frequently awkward sounding in Japanese.
      Various things said in this discussion suggests that she may be
      looking for formula translation. Formula translation seldom produces
      good text. Try using babelfish on Japanese text for a while and you
      will see just how garbled the text produced by formula translation can
      be. Further, some of what she wrote involves semantic categories which
      do not necessarily map well into Japanese. Yes, the words are mostly
      there. Some of them may well be neologisms dating to the occupation or
      perhaps the Meiji Restoration. Among other things, the most common
      translation for "free" (a nice robust Anglo-Saxon word) or freedom is
      a dithematic word employing onyomi (Chinese readings). This is sort of
      like dropping scientific terminology employing Greek and Latin roots
      into your love letters.

      Ultimately, producing decent Japanese text for her would itself be a
      work of authorship. I am personally interested in what her painting
      looks like. I would also have been in a much better position to try to
      help her if she had simply come up with meanings that she would be
      interested in. Even so, some of the meanings she may be looking for
      may themselves be ethnologically unnatural for pre-modern Japanese.
      This unnaturalness generally results in rather unnatural linguistic
      expression.