Re: [SCA-JML] Coronet Question

  • Elaine Koogler
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 9, 2010
      To be honest, that's pretty much what Phillip and I did when we were
      landed B&B. I felt that we had a duty to represent our people...and
      that included wearing the Dun Carraig Baronial coronets...so we wore
      them, adapting them to whatever garb we were wearing, even though it
      wasn't appropriate to Japanese garb.

      When we were not landed, I rarely wore/wear a coronet with Japanese
      garb. At one point, we had an idea of making combs for me to wear in my
      hair that had six pearls, three on each one. I figured that it might be
      a little more compatible with my garb.

      Kiri

      --
      "/It is only with the heart /that one can see clearly; what is essential
      is invisible to the eye."

    • Jeanel Walker
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 9, 2010
        "At one point, we had an idea of making combs for me to wear in my

        hair that had six pearls, three on each one. I figured that it might be

        a little more compatible with my garb."

        wow thats a lovely idea...if you do please post a pic I would love to see it.

        Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takaatsu" of Kisimull

      • John Lyon
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 9, 2010
          I also have been toying with the idea of having a 14th Century English
          styled coronet. My thinking here being, that the Royalty who handed out the
          award are 14th century, and if as a Japanese persona I am assumed to be a
          visitor in a european court, then the title and symbols of that title would
          match the locals, and not to my own time and period necessarily.

          On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Jeanel Walker <brytephyre@...> wrote:

          > "At one point, we had an idea of making combs for me to wear in my
          >
          > hair that had six pearls, three on each one. I figured that it might be
          >
          > a little more compatible with my garb."
          >
          > wow thats a lovely idea...if you do please post a pic I would love to see
          > it.
          >
          > May the joy of your past be the worst of your tomorrows!!!
          > Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takaatsu" of Kisimull
          > http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg208/brytephyre/Takinagadevisesm.jpg
          > http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg208/brytephyre/Eilionoriadevicesm.jpg

          "You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I
          things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I
          take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."
          -Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5

          John Lyon
          aka The Ugly Dragon
          aka Kita Jiru Toramassa

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 9, 2010
            Noble Cousins!

            Greetings from Solveig! Of course you could do something similar to
            what Nobunaga did with his cardinal's hat. But, I suppose that folks
            just would not understand. Although the notion might be appreciated by
            folks who have suffered through wearing heavy coronets.

          • Jennifer Kobayashi
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 9, 2010
              >Greetings from Solveig! Of course you could do something similar to
              >what Nobunaga did with his cardinal's hat.

              Solveig-dono -

              Please enlighten the uninformed. What did he do with his cardinal's hat?

              -Ki no Izumi
            • Elaine Koogler
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 9, 2010
                That has pretty much been my interpretation so far as well...I had the
                same quandry when I was given an augmentation to my arms (mon) of two
                golden dragons. Mons were being registered at the time only in black
                and white. I submitted my device change with the golden dragons as
                awarded. Laurel wanted to know if I didn't want to change them to
                white/silver to go with the rest of my mon. I said that I didn't...I am
                a visitor in a European Court, a "barbarian round-eye" king who didn't
                know any better had given me this honor and it would be dishonorable of
                me to change his gift! Laurel agreed...with a grin!

                Kiri

                On 9/9/2010 10:15 AM, John Lyon wrote:
                > I also have been toying with the idea of having a 14th Century English
                > styled coronet. My thinking here being, that the Royalty who handed out the
                > award are 14th century, and if as a Japanese persona I am assumed to be a
                > visitor in a european court, then the title and symbols of that title would
                > match the locals, and not to my own time and period necessarily.
                >
                > On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Jeanel Walker<brytephyre@...> wrote:
                >

                >> "At one point, we had an idea of making combs for me to wear in my
                >>
                >> hair that had six pearls, three on each one. I figured that it might be
                >>
                >> a little more compatible with my garb."
                >>
                >> wow thats a lovely idea...if you do please post a pic I would love to see
                >> it.
                >>
                >> May the joy of your past be the worst of your tomorrows!!!
                >> Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takaatsu" of Kisimull
                >> http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg208/brytephyre/Takinagadevisesm.jpg
                >> http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg208/brytephyre/Eilionoriadevicesm.jpg

                "/It is only with the heart /that one can see clearly; what is essential
                is invisible to the eye."
                --Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, /The Little Prince/

              • LJonthebay
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 9, 2010
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Kobayashi <jhkob@...> wrote:
                  > Please enlighten the uninformed. What did he do with his cardinal's hat?

                  He put it on a pole and used it as a standard.