Re: [SCA-JML] Coronet Question

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 8, 2010
      On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 9:57 PM, John Lyon <toramassa@...> wrote:
      > My Lady and I were recently elevated to Court Baron/Baroness. The Crown not
      > knowing exactly what would be appropriate for a Japanese Persona decided to
      > gift us instead with 6 pearls and allow us to find coronets that suit our
      > personas. I have been looking and have not been terribly successful in
      > finding any information on Japanese coronets. Do such things exist at all?
      > Are they limited to ruling class? Would it be more appropriate for me to
      > represent my rank through garb than a metal hat? I would very much welcome
      > some direction, key words to search, stern words, or other advice relating
      > to this.

      Her excellency and I have had a similar problem out in the Far West.
      Basically--there really isn't an equivalent to the coronet per se.

      You can always use Hiraizumi-gimi's chart and take an appropriate
      title--and I have a list of court positions and job titles if you are
      looking for something like that. Then, when you figure out what rank
      you are, you can wear court garments appropriate to your rank.

      Here is something I've been doing:
      http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs303.ash2/58348_1379799178763_1345421701_30889950_5478720_n.jpg

      Putting the coronet around the tate-eboshi makes the overall effect
      more subtle--it isn't period, but it works for the SCA. The
      tate-eboshi with hitatare kamishimo, btw, is classic example of late
      period kuge/daimyo (think: Imagawa), and is often used to indicate
      status as a member of the kuge vice a mere bushi.

      -Ii
    • Jeanel Walker
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 8, 2010
        hello, i do have some information to help but im sorry i cant find the my resource at the moment.
        for women the level of there tite is shown with the jewels in her hair. a peasant would use straw and a worker class would wear wood like carved wood or bamboo and a lady would wear silver with animals or flowers inset and royalty would wear gold.
        if you look as see there
         http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.costumemuseum.jp/french/collection/j_komono/jk645.html&ei=B1eITLe9FI2hnAf30qi9Cw&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=2&sqi=2&ved=0CBoQ7gEwAQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3DHirabitai%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3D21D%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26channel%3Ds%26prmd%3Div
        the page will translate.

        Epoque indéterminée Period ended

        Le "kokoroba" est une décoration en forme de rameaux d'or sur lesquels sont attachées des fleurs de pruniers. The "kokoroba" is a form of decoration in gold on which branches are attached plum blossoms. Elle est fixée au "hirabitai" (élément essentiel de la coiffe "kamiageru") pour former le "kokoroba-tsuki-hirabitai". It is set to "hirabitai" (an essential element of the cap "kamiageru") to form the "kokoroba-tsuki-hirabitai.
        Cet ensemble est complété par des décorations pendantes faites de longs cordons appelés "hikage-no-ito". This set is complemented by hanging decorations made from long strings called "Hikage-no-ito".
        I hope this will help.
        as for the men I am unsure but beleive the same aplies as far as the silver and gold but Im thinking its something like chinese were you have a hanging adorment that is carved and its like your id. Ive seen old moves that use them as carved jade and prestious stone that is worn on a string hanging from the belt. the emperor had one too but his was made of gold and much larger. again im not sure but its a place to start looking.

        good luck

        Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takaatsu" of Kisimull

        > My Lady and I were recently elevated to Court Baron/Baroness.

        Omedetou gozaimasu!

        > I have been looking and have not been terribly successful in

        > finding any information on Japanese coronets. Do such things exist at all?

        I'm thinking not. At the elevation of the current Emperor, Akihito, he wore a kanmuri (hat) and the Empress wore a hirabitai: http://wodefordhall.com/emperor.jpg

        http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/kosode/14.htm shows the hirabitai on an Edo period interpretation of formal court dress.

        Stumped,

        Saionji no Hanae

        West Kingdon

      • Elaine Koogler
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 9, 2010
          To be honest, that's pretty much what Phillip and I did when we were
          landed B&B. I felt that we had a duty to represent our people...and
          that included wearing the Dun Carraig Baronial coronets...so we wore
          them, adapting them to whatever garb we were wearing, even though it
          wasn't appropriate to Japanese garb.

          When we were not landed, I rarely wore/wear a coronet with Japanese
          garb. At one point, we had an idea of making combs for me to wear in my
          hair that had six pearls, three on each one. I figured that it might be
          a little more compatible with my garb.

          Kiri

          --
          "/It is only with the heart /that one can see clearly; what is essential
          is invisible to the eye."

        • Jeanel Walker
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 9, 2010
            "At one point, we had an idea of making combs for me to wear in my

            hair that had six pearls, three on each one. I figured that it might be

            a little more compatible with my garb."

            wow thats a lovely idea...if you do please post a pic I would love to see it.

            Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takaatsu" of Kisimull

          • John Lyon
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 9, 2010
              I also have been toying with the idea of having a 14th Century English
              styled coronet. My thinking here being, that the Royalty who handed out the
              award are 14th century, and if as a Japanese persona I am assumed to be a
              visitor in a european court, then the title and symbols of that title would
              match the locals, and not to my own time and period necessarily.

              On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Jeanel Walker <brytephyre@...> wrote:

              > "At one point, we had an idea of making combs for me to wear in my
              >
              > hair that had six pearls, three on each one. I figured that it might be
              >
              > a little more compatible with my garb."
              >
              > wow thats a lovely idea...if you do please post a pic I would love to see
              > it.
              >
              > May the joy of your past be the worst of your tomorrows!!!
              > Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takaatsu" of Kisimull
              > http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg208/brytephyre/Takinagadevisesm.jpg
              > http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg208/brytephyre/Eilionoriadevicesm.jpg

              "You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I
              things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I
              take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."
              -Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5

              John Lyon
              aka The Ugly Dragon
              aka Kita Jiru Toramassa

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 9, 2010

                Greetings from Solveig! Of course you could do something similar to
                what Nobunaga did with his cardinal's hat. But, I suppose that folks
                just would not understand. Although the notion might be appreciated by
                folks who have suffered through wearing heavy coronets.

              • Jennifer Kobayashi
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 9, 2010
                  >Greetings from Solveig! Of course you could do something similar to
                  >what Nobunaga did with his cardinal's hat.

                  Solveig-dono -

                  Please enlighten the uninformed. What did he do with his cardinal's hat?

                  -Ki no Izumi
                • Elaine Koogler
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 9, 2010
                    That has pretty much been my interpretation so far as well...I had the
                    same quandry when I was given an augmentation to my arms (mon) of two
                    golden dragons. Mons were being registered at the time only in black
                    and white. I submitted my device change with the golden dragons as
                    awarded. Laurel wanted to know if I didn't want to change them to
                    white/silver to go with the rest of my mon. I said that I didn't...I am
                    a visitor in a European Court, a "barbarian round-eye" king who didn't
                    know any better had given me this honor and it would be dishonorable of
                    me to change his gift! Laurel agreed...with a grin!

                    Kiri

                    On 9/9/2010 10:15 AM, John Lyon wrote:
                    > I also have been toying with the idea of having a 14th Century English
                    > styled coronet. My thinking here being, that the Royalty who handed out the
                    > award are 14th century, and if as a Japanese persona I am assumed to be a
                    > visitor in a european court, then the title and symbols of that title would
                    > match the locals, and not to my own time and period necessarily.
                    >
                    > On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Jeanel Walker<brytephyre@...> wrote:
                    >

                    >> "At one point, we had an idea of making combs for me to wear in my
                    >>
                    >> hair that had six pearls, three on each one. I figured that it might be
                    >>
                    >> a little more compatible with my garb."
                    >>
                    >> wow thats a lovely idea...if you do please post a pic I would love to see
                    >> it.
                    >>
                    >> May the joy of your past be the worst of your tomorrows!!!
                    >> Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takaatsu" of Kisimull
                    >> http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg208/brytephyre/Takinagadevisesm.jpg
                    >> http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg208/brytephyre/Eilionoriadevicesm.jpg

                    "/It is only with the heart /that one can see clearly; what is essential
                    is invisible to the eye."
                    --Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, /The Little Prince/

                  • LJonthebay
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 9, 2010
                      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Kobayashi <jhkob@...> wrote:
                      > Please enlighten the uninformed. What did he do with his cardinal's hat?

                      He put it on a pole and used it as a standard.