Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Coronet Question

  • Susan Moury
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 8, 2010
      Congratulations!

      Though I've been entitled to a circlet, I've never availed myself of it and I'm
      in no rush to do so.  But these questions get asked by friends so, I ponder how
      to demonstrate SCAdian rank on Japanese headgear from time to time.

      I was thinking of ways of sneaking it in, in such a way that to those in the
      know, it would appear subtle and not a disrepectful error in dress.  To those
      not in the know, they might still absorb the signal of rank even though subtle
      or disguised.

      For myself I was considering, once I have built up my wardrobe to include
      a proper court hat, to embroider on the edge a thin silver band.  At the rate
      I'm going this may be 2015 and I may change my mind on the whim to demonstrate
      rank.

      For your case, what about the addition of black pearls to the court hat?  From a
      distance they won't jar those who know better, and up close the correct signal
      might be sent?

      Just a thought.  Again, I'm not in any hurry to demonstrate my own humble rank.
      But for appearance in court, maybe an appropriate signal to our non-Japanese
      persona colleagues without jarring Japanese persona sensibilities?

      Yours in service,

      Mori Matsunomae

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 8, 2010
        On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 9:57 PM, John Lyon <toramassa@...> wrote:
        > My Lady and I were recently elevated to Court Baron/Baroness. The Crown not
        > knowing exactly what would be appropriate for a Japanese Persona decided to
        > gift us instead with 6 pearls and allow us to find coronets that suit our
        > personas. I have been looking and have not been terribly successful in
        > finding any information on Japanese coronets. Do such things exist at all?
        > Are they limited to ruling class? Would it be more appropriate for me to
        > represent my rank through garb than a metal hat? I would very much welcome
        > some direction, key words to search, stern words, or other advice relating
        > to this.

        Her excellency and I have had a similar problem out in the Far West.
        Basically--there really isn't an equivalent to the coronet per se.

        You can always use Hiraizumi-gimi's chart and take an appropriate
        title--and I have a list of court positions and job titles if you are
        looking for something like that. Then, when you figure out what rank
        you are, you can wear court garments appropriate to your rank.

        Here is something I've been doing:
        http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs303.ash2/58348_1379799178763_1345421701_30889950_5478720_n.jpg

        Putting the coronet around the tate-eboshi makes the overall effect
        more subtle--it isn't period, but it works for the SCA. The
        tate-eboshi with hitatare kamishimo, btw, is classic example of late
        period kuge/daimyo (think: Imagawa), and is often used to indicate
        status as a member of the kuge vice a mere bushi.

        -Ii
      • Jeanel Walker
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 8, 2010
          hello, i do have some information to help but im sorry i cant find the my resource at the moment.
          for women the level of there tite is shown with the jewels in her hair. a peasant would use straw and a worker class would wear wood like carved wood or bamboo and a lady would wear silver with animals or flowers inset and royalty would wear gold.
          if you look as see there
           http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.costumemuseum.jp/french/collection/j_komono/jk645.html&ei=B1eITLe9FI2hnAf30qi9Cw&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=2&sqi=2&ved=0CBoQ7gEwAQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3DHirabitai%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3D21D%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26channel%3Ds%26prmd%3Div
          the page will translate.

          Epoque indéterminée Period ended

          Le "kokoroba" est une décoration en forme de rameaux d'or sur lesquels sont attachées des fleurs de pruniers. The "kokoroba" is a form of decoration in gold on which branches are attached plum blossoms. Elle est fixée au "hirabitai" (élément essentiel de la coiffe "kamiageru") pour former le "kokoroba-tsuki-hirabitai". It is set to "hirabitai" (an essential element of the cap "kamiageru") to form the "kokoroba-tsuki-hirabitai.
          Cet ensemble est complété par des décorations pendantes faites de longs cordons appelés "hikage-no-ito". This set is complemented by hanging decorations made from long strings called "Hikage-no-ito".
          I hope this will help.
          as for the men I am unsure but beleive the same aplies as far as the silver and gold but Im thinking its something like chinese were you have a hanging adorment that is carved and its like your id. Ive seen old moves that use them as carved jade and prestious stone that is worn on a string hanging from the belt. the emperor had one too but his was made of gold and much larger. again im not sure but its a place to start looking.

          good luck

          Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takaatsu" of Kisimull

          > My Lady and I were recently elevated to Court Baron/Baroness.

          Omedetou gozaimasu!

          > I have been looking and have not been terribly successful in

          > finding any information on Japanese coronets. Do such things exist at all?

          I'm thinking not. At the elevation of the current Emperor, Akihito, he wore a kanmuri (hat) and the Empress wore a hirabitai: http://wodefordhall.com/emperor.jpg

          http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/kosode/14.htm shows the hirabitai on an Edo period interpretation of formal court dress.

          Stumped,

          Saionji no Hanae

          West Kingdon

        • Elaine Koogler
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 9, 2010
            To be honest, that's pretty much what Phillip and I did when we were
            landed B&B. I felt that we had a duty to represent our people...and
            that included wearing the Dun Carraig Baronial coronets...so we wore
            them, adapting them to whatever garb we were wearing, even though it
            wasn't appropriate to Japanese garb.

            When we were not landed, I rarely wore/wear a coronet with Japanese
            garb. At one point, we had an idea of making combs for me to wear in my
            hair that had six pearls, three on each one. I figured that it might be
            a little more compatible with my garb.

            Kiri

            --
            "/It is only with the heart /that one can see clearly; what is essential
            is invisible to the eye."

          • Jeanel Walker
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 9, 2010
              "At one point, we had an idea of making combs for me to wear in my

              hair that had six pearls, three on each one. I figured that it might be

              a little more compatible with my garb."

              wow thats a lovely idea...if you do please post a pic I would love to see it.

              Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takaatsu" of Kisimull

            • John Lyon
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 9, 2010
                I also have been toying with the idea of having a 14th Century English
                styled coronet. My thinking here being, that the Royalty who handed out the
                award are 14th century, and if as a Japanese persona I am assumed to be a
                visitor in a european court, then the title and symbols of that title would
                match the locals, and not to my own time and period necessarily.

                On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Jeanel Walker <brytephyre@...> wrote:

                > "At one point, we had an idea of making combs for me to wear in my
                >
                > hair that had six pearls, three on each one. I figured that it might be
                >
                > a little more compatible with my garb."
                >
                > wow thats a lovely idea...if you do please post a pic I would love to see
                > it.
                >
                > May the joy of your past be the worst of your tomorrows!!!
                > Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takaatsu" of Kisimull
                > http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg208/brytephyre/Takinagadevisesm.jpg
                > http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg208/brytephyre/Eilionoriadevicesm.jpg

                "You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I
                things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I
                take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."
                -Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5

                John Lyon
                aka The Ugly Dragon
                aka Kita Jiru Toramassa

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 9, 2010

                  Greetings from Solveig! Of course you could do something similar to
                  what Nobunaga did with his cardinal's hat. But, I suppose that folks
                  just would not understand. Although the notion might be appreciated by
                  folks who have suffered through wearing heavy coronets.

                • Jennifer Kobayashi
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 9, 2010
                    >Greetings from Solveig! Of course you could do something similar to
                    >what Nobunaga did with his cardinal's hat.

                    Solveig-dono -

                    Please enlighten the uninformed. What did he do with his cardinal's hat?

                    -Ki no Izumi
                  • Elaine Koogler
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 9, 2010
                      That has pretty much been my interpretation so far as well...I had the
                      same quandry when I was given an augmentation to my arms (mon) of two
                      golden dragons. Mons were being registered at the time only in black
                      and white. I submitted my device change with the golden dragons as
                      awarded. Laurel wanted to know if I didn't want to change them to
                      white/silver to go with the rest of my mon. I said that I didn't...I am
                      a visitor in a European Court, a "barbarian round-eye" king who didn't
                      know any better had given me this honor and it would be dishonorable of
                      me to change his gift! Laurel agreed...with a grin!

                      Kiri

                      On 9/9/2010 10:15 AM, John Lyon wrote:
                      > I also have been toying with the idea of having a 14th Century English
                      > styled coronet. My thinking here being, that the Royalty who handed out the
                      > award are 14th century, and if as a Japanese persona I am assumed to be a
                      > visitor in a european court, then the title and symbols of that title would
                      > match the locals, and not to my own time and period necessarily.
                      >
                      > On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Jeanel Walker<brytephyre@...> wrote:
                      >

                      >> "At one point, we had an idea of making combs for me to wear in my
                      >>
                      >> hair that had six pearls, three on each one. I figured that it might be
                      >>
                      >> a little more compatible with my garb."
                      >>
                      >> wow thats a lovely idea...if you do please post a pic I would love to see
                      >> it.
                      >>
                      >> May the joy of your past be the worst of your tomorrows!!!
                      >> Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takaatsu" of Kisimull
                      >> http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg208/brytephyre/Takinagadevisesm.jpg
                      >> http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg208/brytephyre/Eilionoriadevicesm.jpg

                      "/It is only with the heart /that one can see clearly; what is essential
                      is invisible to the eye."
                      --Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, /The Little Prince/

                    • LJonthebay
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 9, 2010
                        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Kobayashi <jhkob@...> wrote:
                        > Please enlighten the uninformed. What did he do with his cardinal's hat?

                        He put it on a pole and used it as a standard.