OT, OOP Query about a possibly Meiji artifact

  • Elaine Koogler
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2010
      Good Friends,
      The following query recently appeared on the Atlantian e-list:

      "Recently I came into the possession of a late19th Century
      "Yuusen-shippo" Cloisonn? "Koro" (Temple Incense burner). As we proceed
      through the research on this item, the regular avenues(Auction Houses)
      are pushing towards sales based information where I want to dig deeper.
      At this time we have some certainties...such as the origin of the
      piece during the Meiji Period(1868-1912). We "believe" the piece may
      have been an early product of the Inaba Company, founded by Former
      Samurai Inaba Isshin in 1886. If this is true, then the piece may well
      have been created by the former Samurai himself!

      The Koro is done in shades of brown, rust, a burnt yellow and green and
      the enamel has a speckled appearance. The body has rust colored
      shields with goldstone and this background surrounds a Ho-Ho bird. The
      alternating shields, which depict a dragon, have a speckled rust/beige
      background. Near the shoulder of the Koro is a highly decorated burnt
      yellow speckled band with a flower design and this serves as the background
      for small cartouches that have either a central butterfly or flower."

      Both Ii-dono and I have responded with essentially the same
      information...that the piece is an export piece and therefore, the Meiji
      dating is probably accurate. This is based on the very elaborate
      decoration, along with the shield shapes on the piece. We also told him
      that it is based on an ancient Chinese ding shape...and Ii-dono
      indicated that this was probably because importers from Europe were
      already familiar with the shape as the Chinese had been exporting to the
      West for a long time.

      It would appear that the gentleman's main question has to do with the
      manufacture of the piece. It is not signed, so he assumes (along with
      his sources...an antiques house) that it has to predate 1890 as the
      Japanese did not sign their work until after that date. He wants to
      know if it can be identified as being specifically from the Inaba
      factory...or made by the samurai Inaba Isshin. The gentleman goes on to
      state when asked about any markings on the koro:

      "No there are not, which it turns out is a good thing as well as bad
      according to those authorities who want me to sell the piece.
      While it is bad in the identification department, it is good because the
      Japanese artists did not start signing their work until later. So the
      fact it is not signed dates it between 1860 and 1890 depending on who
      made it."

      Ii-dono and I both disagree with this statement as we know that swords
      were signed earlier, and IIRC, at least pottery names were signed onto
      their pieces, though individual potters didn't start signing their work
      until later.

      So. What I'm wondering is if anyone on this list has any kind of
      experience with this sort of thing. I am attaching pictures of the
      koro....if they don't make it through, if someone would like to see
      them, let me know and I'll send them to you privately.

      Thanks for your time....

      Kiri

      --
      "/It is only with the heart /that one can see clearly; what is essential
      is invisible to the eye."