Re: Fortune telling

  • merlyn_elzebeth
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 2, 2010
      Thank you for your prompt reply,

      I will try these search terms (and others I've brainstormed) whenever the Yahoo search function actually...functions.

      By the way,
      Does anyone have the .doc file referenced in this 2005 email? The link listed is dead.

      Thank you,
      Merlyn

      >>>"This is a bit late, and I can't recall who wanted a copy, so I figure it
      is best to just post the link and let people download it if they are
      interested.

      This began life as a handout for an Asian Night gathering. It has since
      grown into a bit more, and there is still a lot of work on editing and
      research that I have to do, but it will probably stay as it is for the
      time being.

      I want to expand just about everything in there. I really don't talk
      about the He Tu or Lo Shu diagrams as much as I'd like. I also need to
      make sure that my Chinese is all using pinyin, as some of the sources used
      Wade-Giles and I'm not always sure I used the appropriate romanization (I
      have tried to add the appropriate Chinese characters where appropriate, in
      case my romanization is off).

      I also need to find out more about the prohibited directions and their
      links to China. Unfortunately, our best source is in French, and Ellen
      can tell you that my French is horrible, so I've been using her and Alta
      Vista to try to dig into it more.

      Nonetheless, I think that there is a good basic outline of many of the
      concepts I've run across so far including the Yi-Jing, Yin-Yang, the Five
      Elements, and Prohibited Directions.

      Esoteric Buddhism, native Shinto beliefs, and other things such as Fu
      talismans are missing and I want to do more research. However, I'm being
      pushed for a translation elsewhere, first, so I need to put this aside for
      now.

      So, enjoy:

      http://modzer0.cs.uaf.edu/~logan/pub/Divination.doc

      -Ii
    • JESSICA DODGE
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 2, 2010
        I hope this gets a response! I wasn't here in 2005. Maby Lady Solvieg (spelling?) has it?
        Lady Helena Panier

        I will try these search terms (and others I've brainstormed) whenever the Yahoo search function actually...functions.

        By the way,
        Does anyone have the .doc file referenced in this 2005 email? The link listed is dead.

        Thank you,
        Merlyn

        >>>"This is a bit late, and I can't recall who wanted a copy, so I figure it
        is best to just post the link and let people download it if they are
        interested.

        This began life as a handout for an Asian Night gathering. It has since
        grown into a bit more, and there is still a lot of work on editing and
        research that I have to do, but it will probably stay as it is for the
        time being.

        I want to expand just about everything in there. I really don't talk
        about the He Tu or Lo Shu diagrams as much as I'd like. I also need to
        make sure that my Chinese is all using pinyin, as some of the sources used
        Wade-Giles and I'm not always sure I used the appropriate romanization (I
        have tried to add the appropriate Chinese characters where appropriate, in
        case my romanization is off).

        I also need to find out more about the prohibited directions and their
        links to China. Unfortunately, our best source is in French, and Ellen
        can tell you that my French is horrible, so I've been using her and Alta
        Vista to try to dig into it more.

        Nonetheless, I think that there is a good basic outline of many of the
        concepts I've run across so far including the Yi-Jing, Yin-Yang, the Five
        Elements, and Prohibited Directions.

        Esoteric Buddhism, native Shinto beliefs, and other things such as Fu
        talismans are missing and I want to do more research. However, I'm being
        pushed for a translation elsewhere, first, so I need to put this aside for
        now.

        So, enjoy:

        http://modzer0.cs.uaf.edu/~logan/pub/Divination.doc

      • Charles Dodge
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 2, 2010
          Try searching the wayback machine at www.archive.org  You can paste the whole url there and it should pull up all the cached updates for the website. As long as the doc was written out on the site you can copy it. If it was a download continue searching the results, sometimes the wayback machine captures the downloads as well.

          Nakos

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 3, 2010
            Thank you,

            I tried the Internet Archive. Unfortunately, that page was not archived. Figures huh? :)

            Merlyn

            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Charles Dodge <greek_nakos@...> wrote:

            > Try searching the wayback machine at www.archive.org  You can paste the whole url there and it should pull up all the cached updates for the website. As long as the doc was written out on the site you can copy it. If it was a download continue searching the results, sometimes the wayback machine captures the downloads as well.
            >
            > Nakos

          • Audrey Bergeron-Morin
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 3, 2010
              It's not there, I tried yesterday... And the only other thing you get from
              the site in the wayback machine is a family picture.

            • JL Badgley
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 3, 2010
                Well... I'm still around. And I have the article... somewhere.
                Unfortunately, I'm in Korea (Warrior's Gate) at the moment.

                I'll see what I can dig up... there is a small event today, though, so
                it may take me a while to get to it.

                -Ii

                On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 11:43 PM, merlyn_elzebeth
                <athanasiaseraphina@...> wrote:
                > Thank you,
                >
                > I tried the Internet Archive. Unfortunately, that page was not archived. Figures huh? :)
                >
                > Merlyn
                >
                > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Charles Dodge <greek_nakos@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> Try searching the wayback machine at www.archive.org  You can paste the whole url there and it should pull up all the cached updates for the website. As long as the doc was written out on the site you can copy it. If it was a download continue searching the results, sometimes the wayback machine captures the downloads as well.
                >> Nakos

              • yamamura_kitsune
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 4, 2010
                  Greetings Merlyn,

                  Kuji-bozu, from the Middle Kingdom, recently taught a class on Asian divination at Pennsic. I believe this is something that he's taught for a few years now. You can find his handout at the below link (.PDF File). If that information isn't enough, I'm pretty sure he could answer most of your questions on the matter.

                  http://kuji.windycitywizard.com/Asian%20Divination.pdf

                  Kashiko,
                  Yamamura Kitsune
                  Aruki Miko of the Known World