Re: [SCA-JML] Re: [SCA-China] Fwd: Steamed pork bun workshop 10/30 in Unclaimed Crown Lands

  • Elaine Koogler
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2010
      Yes, that's what I found as well...we made them for an event years
      ago, and they were time-consuming. The worst part was making the dough
      and allowing it to rise because it is a yeast dough. We baked ours
      rather than steaming them, but, as I understand it, they are pretty much
      the same thing.

      Kiri

      On 8/30/2010 8:20 PM, Justin Flatt wrote:

      > I don't post often or really at all to the list, but this is one I
      > love too.
      > Interest in Manju is what properly got me interested in japanese
      > cooking at
      > all. The recipe may or may not be period, but the one I've always used is:
      > http://www.justhungry.com/2004/04/steamed_buns_wi.html
      >
      > Right there. ^_^ They have the recipes for the pork marinade and
      > cooking the
      > pork, the dough itself, and the filling once the pork is cooked. I've made
      > them several times to great success. I didn't really find them hard or
      > anything, just time consuming.
      >
      > Enjoy,
      > Robert Talbot
      >
      > On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 5:35 PM, JL Badgley <tatsushu@...
      > <mailto:tatsushu%40gmail.com>> wrote:
      >
      > > Sounds awesome--I'm a bit far, but it sounds like a blast.
      > >
      > > I was recently looking at a Japanese menu from pre-1600 (I can't
      > remember
      > > if
      > > it was a 16th century one or one of the earlier--13th or 14th century
      > > menus)
      > > and saw that one of the dishes listed was "manju", which is, today, the
      > > term
      > > for steamed buns, so I'd love to learn how to make them--and how far
      > back
      > > they go. I thought I saw a reference to the move to the Southern
      > Capital,
      > > at one point, where it was so crowded that people often didn't have
      > their
      > > own kitchen, but relied on the various restaurants and traveling
      > cooks for
      > > most of their cooked food.
      > >
      > > Anyway, I'd love to get handouts, if available!
      > >
      > > -Jing/Ii/Jeong
      > >
      > > On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 4:29 AM, Michele Chang <oriquilt@...
      > <mailto:oriquilt%40gmail.com>> wrote:

      "/It is only with the heart /that one can see clearly; what is essential
      is invisible to the eye."
      --Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, /The Little Prince/