Japanese Costume and Textile Arts Book

  • scott_rekishika
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 23, 2010
      I was wondering if anyone here has the Japanese Costume and Textile Arts (Heibonsha Survey of Japanese Art) book? If so I am interested in how good the book is in describing clothing in various periods. My main interest is in the late 15th to early 17th century. I have a few of these books on other subjects and they tend to be pretty good overview books. But, I do not know about this volume. For all I know the period I am interested in might just be a page or two, or maybe this is all modern clothing.
    • Elaine Koogler
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 23, 2010
        I have had this book for a number of years. The book discussions are
        mostly about Meiji and later work. Most of what would be in our period
        is in the first chapter. Given what I was looking for, I was somewhat
        disappointed...but that seems to be the jist of most works on this topic.

        Kiri

        --
        "/It is only with the heart /that one can see clearly; what is essential
        is invisible to the eye."

      • LJonthebay
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 23, 2010
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1@...> wrote:

          > I have had this book for a number of years. The book discussions are
          > mostly about Meiji and later work.

          I beg to differ. If I could own only one book on Japanese textiles, this one would be it as it's a very good general overview of the subject. There is a good sample of pre-Edo garments in color and black and white photographs, nearly half the text discusses pre-Edo costume, and used copies of the book are fairly easy to come by and not too expensive.

          It's worth owning.

        • LJonthebay
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 23, 2010
            Chapters include "The Kimono and Its Setting," "Rise of the Kosode," "Noh Costume," "The Passage of Time" and "Changing Tastes" (which discusses stylistic characteristics and developments in textile embellishment from before 1600 into the Edo period) and a final section devoted to techniques and motifs found in Japanese textiles.

            As mentioned previously, I really like this volume from the Heibonsha series. Because it shows examples of textile designs and decorative techniques from before AND after SCA-period, I feel it's very useful for getting an idea of what is and isn't period for the SCA.

            If anyone cares, I have a bibliography of some of my library at: http://wodefordhall.com/biiblio.htm

            It includes brief comments on certain volumes. If you see something you want to know more about, feel free to ask.