San Francisco Japanese Persona Tour Advice

  • Susan Moury
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 19, 2010
      Greetings!

      Work is sending me to San Francisco/Redwood City for a few days in late
      September.  As a Japanese persona is there anything I should see?  Anyone free
      to act as guide after business hours on  Monday 9/27 or Tuesday 9/28?

      Also, does anyone know of a resource for learning how to grind/make your own go
      stones?

      Yours in service,

      Mori Matsunomae

    • Jehanne de Wodeford
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 19, 2010
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Susan Moury <forsair@...> wrote:
        > Work is sending me to San Francisco/Redwood City for a few days in late
        > September.  As a Japanese persona is there anything I should see?  Anyone free
        > to act as guide after business hours on  Monday 9/27 or Tuesday 9/28?

        I'm local-ish (East Bay). The Asian Art Museum is convenient to mass transit, but I believe they close on weekdays at 5 PM (9PM on Thursday). There is the Japantown district for shopping and the Tea Garden in Golden Gate Park.

        http://asianart.org
        http://japaneseteagardensf.com/
        http://www.sfjapantown.org/

        Tuesdays I have taiko, but Monday could work for me. Shoot me a note offlist at wodeford AT yahoo DOT com if interested.

      • David & Margaret George
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 19, 2010
          Hi Saionji (and list),

          I was wondering if anyone had tried making taiko out of wine barrels as per the article on Sir Ogami's web site.

          I have a source for new barrels down the street from where I live. (San Jose).

          I am hoping one of these days to check out the San Jose Taiko group.

          Take Care,

          Dafydd

          On Aug 19, 2010, at 11:57 AM, Jehanne de Wodeford wrote:

          > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Susan Moury <forsair@...> wrote:
          > > Work is sending me to San Francisco/Redwood City for a few days in late
          > > September. As a Japanese persona is there anything I should see? Anyone free
          > > to act as guide after business hours on Monday 9/27 or Tuesday 9/28?
          >
          > I'm local-ish (East Bay). The Asian Art Museum is convenient to mass transit, but I believe they close on weekdays at 5 PM (9PM on Thursday). There is the Japantown district for shopping and the Tea Garden in Golden Gate Park.
          >
          > http://asianart.org
          > http://japaneseteagardensf.com/
          > http://www.sfjapantown.org/
          >
          > Tuesdays I have taiko, but Monday could work for me. Shoot me a note offlist at wodeford AT yahoo DOT com if interested.
          >
          > Saionji no Hanae
          > West Kingdom

          ________________________________
          David A. George
          KB3SHD

        • Andrew T Trembley
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 19, 2010
            On Aug 19, 2010, at 9:42 AM, Susan Moury wrote:

            > Greetings!
            >
            > Work is sending me to San Francisco/Redwood City for a few days in late
            > September. As a Japanese persona is there anything I should see? Anyone free
            > to act as guide after business hours on Monday 9/27 or Tuesday 9/28?

            Hakone Gardens in Saratoga (a good run south, but worth it) is a good one.

            San Francisco Japantown is very cool.

            Asian Art Museum (in the Civic Center area)

            andy
          • LJonthebay
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 19, 2010
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, David & Margaret George <dafydd1@...> wrote:

              > I was wondering if anyone had tried making taiko out of wine barrels as per the article on Sir Ogami's web site.

              No, but only because (a) I'm an apartment dweller (b) I know from experience how difficult it is for me to attempt to lift a full sized wine-barrel taiko without a partner (c) I don't have the shop space or tools.

              I believe my sensei get their hides from the Napa Hide House. Be sure to tell them what you want the rawhide for. Even so, we occasionally end up with hides that don't wear well. All hides will eventually stretch and wear with regular play, no matter what.

              I have helped make some out of PVC sewer pipe and rawhide. Not pretty and you have to buy a minimum of 6' of pipe (hence making multiple drums at one go), but they play just fine and I have one. http://www.taiko.us/cheap.html shows a similar method.

              I have also made some practice drums using cardboard concrete forms, strapping tape, clothesline and djembe rings. The sound is similar to a basketball being dribbled on concrete, however, the strapping tape heads rebound similarly to hide drum-heads and they have the virtue of being very light and portable. http://wodefordhall.com/taiko2.htm

              Don't know how easy it is for you to get to Alameda on a week night, but the class I play with is having a little recital on Tuesday 8/31 at 6:30. If interested, shoot me a note and I'll send you the address.

              Saionji no Hanae
              Amateur uchite
            • sigrune@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 20, 2010
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 20, 2010
                  San Jose Japantown still has a few good stores, though it's a bit of a
                  drive. Going into the city would be fun, but if I remember right most of
                  SF JTown rolls up at 6:00 PM.

                  Jim
                  Mountain View, CA
                • LJonthebay
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 20, 2010
                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sigrune@... wrote:

                    > Of course you can always get a smaller barrel from your resident
                    > cooper... (hint hint)

                    See (a) apartment dweller whose living room already looks like the musical instrument adoption agency and (c) tools and shop space limitations.

                    Thanks for the offer, though. Enabler. ;-D

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 20, 2010

                      > Of course you can always get a smaller barrel from your resident
                      > cooper... (hint hint)
                      Of course you could possibly go into the drum business. The staves
                      would have to be glued, and then there is the tensioned head to deal
                      with.

                    • sigrune@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 20, 2010
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 17, 2010
                          Good Afternoon!

                          If you are still available on Monday the 28th I'd still be interested in meeting
                          you after work and exploring the city a bit.

                          My flight gets me in at noon.  My hotel doesn't allow check-in until 3, so I
                          have a little bit of time to kill and may try to hit the museum before it
                          closes.  Could I meet you at an entrance of the museum after it closes?  Then we
                          can explore other areas?  Would that work?

                          My number is 540-557-7036.

                          Thanks!

                          Susan Moury
                          Mori Matsunomae

                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 17, 2010
                            Apologies for the bandwidth, I meant to respond to Saionji off list.  Clearly
                            I'm reaching the end of my broadcast day.

                            Thanks for your understanding!

                            Mori Matsunomae

                          • LJonthebay
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 18, 2010
                              Responded privately.

                              Saionji no Hanae, celebrity tour guide to friends, family and the Known World