little bags

  • juditheileen21
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 15, 2010
      Greetings,

      First let me say Thank You for all the help this group haas given me.

      Now I am in southern California with my laptop but without my desktop. Of course, the Japanese notes are on the desktop which I will not get until Labor Day. So...
      I was reading about balls or bags that are now decorated with flowers that are put out for one of the holidays. These used to be simpler - bags with herbs and such for good health and good luck. One of the emperors gave away many thousands of these at one celebration in the medieval period.

      There are tiny ones decorated with flowers in one or two of the scenes in the Clothing Museum, I think.

      Does anyone know what I am asking about? This is another one of the "I know I saw/read it somewhere!" things. I would like to find the mention of the medieval style to copy.

      Thanks,
      Eileen
    • Jehanne de Wodeford
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 16, 2010
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "juditheileen21" <judith.eileen@...> wrote:
        > I was reading about balls or bags that are now decorated with flowers that are put out for one of the holidays. These used to be simpler - bags with herbs and such for good health and good luck. One of the emperors gave away many thousands of these at one celebration in the medieval period.

        The only thing that's springing to my mind is the making of kneaded balls of incense. It was often done competetively in the Heian court. I think there's one such contest mentioned in "The Tale of Genji."

        If I think of anything else, I'll be sure and post it.

      • booknerd9
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 16, 2010
          I think I remember reading in the footnotes to the Pillow Book (though upon diving into my books, I found it referenced in Dalby's East Wind Melts the Ice[1] faster) that Heian women made pomanders with chrysanthemums in the fall and traded them out in the spring for ones made out of calamus/sweet flag.

          [1]Highly recommended by the way (: