Japanese language

  • juditheileen21
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2010
      Greetings,

      Does anyone own or have heard these CDs? The quote is from the bibliography page of the Classical Japanese section of Sengoku Daimyo's site.

      CD-ROM introduction to the Heike

      In publicizing this set of two CD-ROMs, I must first of all declare an interest. My fellow AAS 1996 panelist Sakurai Yoko of Kumamoto Univ. was the general editor, while I translated (some 50,000 words!), making a general nuisance of myself asking awkward questions. The CD-ROMs contain hundreds of photographs, illustrations, recordings, and short texts. Famous passages are given in classical & modern Japanese and in English translation (click buttons to choose), and you can even hear them read aloud in Japanese while following on the screen in English. There is much explanatory material about episodes and characters, illustrated with scenes from the Heike scroll paintings (emaki). "Rekishi kiko" (Journey through history) takes you to sites of memorable episodes, and not just the well-known places in Kyoto, but all over Japan, from Kyushu to Hokuriku. There are also short movies and audio recordings of performances of biwa hoshi and related noh plays. The hybrid (Mac/Windows) CD-ROM set was produced by Fujitsu SSL and is marketed in the U.S. by Fujitsu Software Corporation (408-432-1300) or Fujitsu SSL in Japan (044-739-1527), see the Japanese or English introductions on their respective sites. 7000 yen or $98 for the set.