Re: listening

  • James Eckman
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 3, 2010
      > Posted by: "booknerd9"
      >
      > Depends on the anime. Anime that is more dramatic as opposed to comedic and is aimed at adults may have characters that are speaking close to how normal people do[1]. FWIW, I watched anime when studying Japanese in college... I called it "doing research" (instead of say, goofing off).

      For beginners, anime is bad. Until you've had some classes, tapes or
      possibly movies you just don't know how bad! When Akira first came out
      (unsubtitled) a kid brought a copy to Japanese class. This was the
      second semester, and for the first 5 minutes none of us could understand
      a word. This was about the time it took the sensei to recover from shock
      ;) Now I know what they are saying and if I hear anyone speaking like
      that, I'm either running or reaching for a weapon!

      Jim
    • Jeanel Walker
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 3, 2010
        be care that they are not speaking Spanish i came across one amine episode that  i knew was Spanish witch sounded very funny
        but with that in mind you need to make sure there not speaking Cantonese or some other Asian tong

        Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takaatsu" of Kisimull

        > Depends on the anime. Anime that is more dramatic as opposed to comedic and is aimed at adults may have characters that are speaking close to how normal people do[1]. FWIW, I watched anime when studying Japanese in college... I called it "doing research" (instead of say, goofing off).

        For beginners, anime is bad. Until you've had some classes, tapes or

        possibly movies you just don't know how bad! When Akira first came out

        (unsubtitled) a kid brought a copy to Japanese class. This was the

        second semester, and for the first 5 minutes none of us could understand

        a word. This was about the time it took the sensei to recover from shock

        ;) Now I know what they are saying and if I hear anyone speaking like

        that, I'm either running or reaching for a weapon!

        Jim

      • booknerd9
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 4, 2010
          *nods* In my third year of Japanese, our professor did show us unsubtitled versions of My Neighbor Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies. I still couldn't make out a single thing and was quite glad that the professor gave us the questions about the film in written form (I understood what I read much more than what I heard by a long shot). But as for the anime, given that I watched it with my friends who liked action-comedies, I took it with a grain of salt.

          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, James Eckman <ronin_engineer@...> wrote:

          > > Posted by: "booknerd9"
          > >
          > > Depends on the anime. Anime that is more dramatic as opposed to comedic and is aimed at adults may have characters that are speaking close to how normal people do[1]. FWIW, I watched anime when studying Japanese in college... I called it "doing research" (instead of say, goofing off).
          > >

          > For beginners, anime is bad. Until you've had some classes, tapes or
          > possibly movies you just don't know how bad! When Akira first came out
          > (unsubtitled) a kid brought a copy to Japanese class. This was the
          > second semester, and for the first 5 minutes none of us could understand
          > a word. This was about the time it took the sensei to recover from shock
          > ;) Now I know what they are saying and if I hear anyone speaking like
          > that, I'm either running or reaching for a weapon!
          >
          > Jim

        • wadeaverey
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 14, 2010
            Contact me offlist and I can send you some TV shows on DVD. I get monthly packages from Japan and can send you some old DVR recordings.

            As another option search out Japanese TV shows on youtube and PV (music videos).

            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, V <B.E.A.S.T.V2.5@...> wrote:

            > Sometimes dramas can be good for getting used to how the language sounds.
            > But it's important to remember where the media itself comes from and what
            > time/location is being portrayed. They also sometimes have the exaggerated
            > speech problem though not as much as Anime. There are a lot of different
            > accents inside Japan and on top of it there are language differences based
            > on time period. Some historical dramas for instance purposefully use older
            > Japanese or a combination of modern and older vocabulary to give it a dated
            > feeling. If you're just trying to get used to hearing different sounds and
            > don't care about actually speaking the language it might not be too
            > horrifically bad. But that's not even getting into the odd sounds that get
            > introduced the more people slur or use slang. Once you're used to the base
            > sounds Japanese can sound very different based on all this stuff.

          • Bryant Richards
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 14, 2010
              >TV shows on DVD

              If you have Netflix they have Vermilion Pleasure Night (a late night Japanese TV
              show) on the Instant Watch Que....its a very crazy show.

              In Honor and Service,
              Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu
              House Chiburi

            • James Eckman
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 15, 2010
                > Posted by: "Bryant Richards"
                > If you have Netflix they have Vermilion Pleasure Night (a late night Japanese TV
                > show) on the Instant Watch Que....its a very crazy show.

                That sounds pretty awesome. It will be nice to be able to stream live
                shows from Japan and not depend on TV Japan or the rental market.

                Jim