listening

  • juditheileen21
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 29, 2010
      Greetings,
      Can anyone suggest a cd or something similar that is in Japanese that I could listen to to hear how the language sounds? Not a learn Japanese program, just spoken Japanese, maybe poetry.
      Thanks,
      Eileen
    • Jehanne de Wodeford
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 29, 2010
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "juditheileen21" <judith.eileen@...> wrote:

        > Greetings,
        > Can anyone suggest a cd or something similar that is in Japanese that I could listen to to hear how the language sounds? Not a learn Japanese program, just spoken Japanese, maybe poetry.

        Why not rent some Japanese films? That way you have the framework of the story and subtitles to give those sounds context.

        I can't speak Japanese, but after spending several weeks enjoying a Kurosawa retrospective at a local theater, I am pleased to report I can pick out a word or two when listening to dialogue and more often than not can identify proper names.

      • setsuko_iwashiro
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 29, 2010
          Look up subtitled anime on YouTube. It will help with the sentence structure, sound, etc. while still being interesting. Funimation has an official channel where they post some of their professionally-subbed videos here: http://www.youtube.com/user/FUNimation Just look for the videos with (SUB) after them.

          Unlike buying a CD, their YouTube channel is free. ^^; (Although CDs are good, too- just harder to get.)

          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jehanne de Wodeford" <wodeford@...> wrote:

          > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "juditheileen21" <judith.eileen@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Greetings,
          > > Can anyone suggest a cd or something similar that is in Japanese that I could listen to to hear how the language sounds? Not a learn Japanese program, just spoken Japanese, maybe poetry.
          >
          > Why not rent some Japanese films? That way you have the framework of the story and subtitles to give those sounds context.
          >
          > I can't speak Japanese, but after spending several weeks enjoying a Kurosawa retrospective at a local theater, I am pleased to report I can pick out a word or two when listening to dialogue and more often than not can identify proper names.
          >
          > Saionji no Hanae
          > West Kingdom

        • Gerard Gillespie
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 29, 2010
            Also go on you tube, and watch some of the famous Kabuki plays
            gerard

            ________________________________
            > Can anyone suggest a cd or something similar that is in Japanese that I could
            >listen to to hear how the language sounds? Not a learn Japanese program, just
            >spoken Japanese, maybe poetry.

            Why not rent some Japanese films? That way you have the framework of the story
            and subtitles to give those sounds context.

            I can't speak Japanese, but after spending several weeks enjoying a Kurosawa
            retrospective at a local theater, I am pleased to report I can pick out a word
            or two when listening to dialogue and more often than not can identify proper
            names.

          • Bryant Richards
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 29, 2010
              >>Can anyone suggest a cd or something similar that is in Japanese

              A few different Japanese teachers I have talked to suggested listening to
              Japanese music. This you can get from many locations. They say we tend to
              absorb music more than the spoken word. If you like contact me off list and I
              will burn you a copy of the CD I listen to (its legal I promise).

              In Honor and Service,
              Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu
              House Chiburi

            • JL Badgley
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 29, 2010
                On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Gerard Gillespie
                <gjgillespie@...> wrote:

                > Also go on you tube, and watch some of the famous Kabuki plays
                > gerard

                I'm going to advise avoiding Kabuki, Noh, and other traditional
                theater styles if you want to learn about the sound of spoken
                Japanese. It is too often more of a sung verse, or specially
                inflected in a way that wouldn't sound normal.

                Now, as for general culture and just because it is awesome?
                Definitely watch famous kabuki plays!

                -Ii
              • Andrew T Trembley
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 30, 2010
                  On 7/29/2010 8:01 PM, setsuko_iwashiro wrote:
                  > Look up subtitled anime on YouTube.

                  Ooh.

                  Bad choice, in this case.

                  Just as cartoon characters talk with exaggerated English speech
                  patterns, anime characters talk with exaggerated Japanese speech
                  patterns. I've heard a number of Japanese friends joke about non-native
                  speakers with "anime accents."

                  andy
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 30, 2010

                    Greetings from Solveig! I do not recommend either poetry or kabuki as
                    particularly good exemplars of Japanese. For example, you can buy CDs
                    of the opening parts of the hyakunin isshu poems, but the intonation
                    and what naught are very distinctive. Similarly, kabuki can sound a
                    bit odd at times. I agree that movies are pretty good and you can
                    readily obtain a fairly wide representation of the language from them.

                  • V
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 30, 2010
                      Sometimes dramas can be good for getting used to how the language sounds.
                      But it's important to remember where the media itself comes from and what
                      time/location is being portrayed. They also sometimes have the exaggerated
                      speech problem though not as much as Anime. There are a lot of different
                      accents inside Japan and on top of it there are language differences based
                      on time period. Some historical dramas for instance purposefully use older
                      Japanese or a combination of modern and older vocabulary to give it a dated
                      feeling. If you're just trying to get used to hearing different sounds and
                      don't care about actually speaking the language it might not be too
                      horrifically bad. But that's not even getting into the odd sounds that get
                      introduced the more people slur or use slang. Once you're used to the base
                      sounds Japanese can sound very different based on all this stuff.

                    • booknerd9
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 2, 2010
                        Depends on the anime. Anime that is more dramatic as opposed to comedic and is aimed at adults may have characters that are speaking close to how normal people do[1]. FWIW, I watched anime when studying Japanese in college... I called it "doing research" (instead of say, goofing off).

                        [1]For American shows, compare something like Bob the Builder to the Simpsons, and compare that to Friends and then to Law and Order.

                        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Andrew T Trembley <attrembl@...> wrote:

                        > On 7/29/2010 8:01 PM, setsuko_iwashiro wrote:
                        > > Look up subtitled anime on YouTube.
                        >
                        > Ooh.
                        >
                        > Bad choice, in this case.
                        >
                        > Just as cartoon characters talk with exaggerated English speech
                        > patterns, anime characters talk with exaggerated Japanese speech
                        > patterns. I've heard a number of Japanese friends joke about non-native
                        > speakers with "anime accents."
                        >
                        > andy

                      • Thomas
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 3, 2010
                        • James Eckman
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 3, 2010
                            > Posted by: "booknerd9"
                            >
                            > Depends on the anime. Anime that is more dramatic as opposed to comedic and is aimed at adults may have characters that are speaking close to how normal people do[1]. FWIW, I watched anime when studying Japanese in college... I called it "doing research" (instead of say, goofing off).

                            For beginners, anime is bad. Until you've had some classes, tapes or
                            possibly movies you just don't know how bad! When Akira first came out
                            (unsubtitled) a kid brought a copy to Japanese class. This was the
                            second semester, and for the first 5 minutes none of us could understand
                            a word. This was about the time it took the sensei to recover from shock
                            ;) Now I know what they are saying and if I hear anyone speaking like
                            that, I'm either running or reaching for a weapon!

                            Jim
                          • Jeanel Walker
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 3, 2010
                              be care that they are not speaking Spanish i came across one amine episode that  i knew was Spanish witch sounded very funny
                              but with that in mind you need to make sure there not speaking Cantonese or some other Asian tong

                              Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takaatsu" of Kisimull

                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 4, 2010
                                *nods* In my third year of Japanese, our professor did show us unsubtitled versions of My Neighbor Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies. I still couldn't make out a single thing and was quite glad that the professor gave us the questions about the film in written form (I understood what I read much more than what I heard by a long shot). But as for the anime, given that I watched it with my friends who liked action-comedies, I took it with a grain of salt.

                                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, James Eckman <ronin_engineer@...> wrote:

                                > > Posted by: "booknerd9"
                                > >
                                > > Depends on the anime. Anime that is more dramatic as opposed to comedic and is aimed at adults may have characters that are speaking close to how normal people do[1]. FWIW, I watched anime when studying Japanese in college... I called it "doing research" (instead of say, goofing off).
                                > >

                                > For beginners, anime is bad. Until you've had some classes, tapes or
                                > possibly movies you just don't know how bad! When Akira first came out
                                > (unsubtitled) a kid brought a copy to Japanese class. This was the
                                > second semester, and for the first 5 minutes none of us could understand
                                > a word. This was about the time it took the sensei to recover from shock
                                > ;) Now I know what they are saying and if I hear anyone speaking like
                                > that, I'm either running or reaching for a weapon!
                                >
                                > Jim

                              • wadeaverey
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 14, 2010
                                  Contact me offlist and I can send you some TV shows on DVD. I get monthly packages from Japan and can send you some old DVR recordings.

                                  As another option search out Japanese TV shows on youtube and PV (music videos).

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 14, 2010
                                    >TV shows on DVD

                                    If you have Netflix they have Vermilion Pleasure Night (a late night Japanese TV
                                    show) on the Instant Watch Que....its a very crazy show.

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 15, 2010
                                      > Posted by: "Bryant Richards"
                                      > If you have Netflix they have Vermilion Pleasure Night (a late night Japanese TV
                                      > show) on the Instant Watch Que....its a very crazy show.

                                      That sounds pretty awesome. It will be nice to be able to stream live
                                      shows from Japan and not depend on TV Japan or the rental market.

                                      Jim