Re: [SCA-JML] shirabyoshi dance question

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 27, 2010

      Greetings from Solveig! Well, I watched the video. Two things are
      apparent: the instrumentation was fairly modern and of course the fan
      was of modern design. The costume does look like it was derived from
      something from about the right period. Now then, the piece that was
      posted does not even claim to be kagura. It claims to be a recreation
      of shirabyoshi. So, I was not that startled when it did not appear to
      be what I expect of kagura. Are you sure that you are really looking
      for kagura? As far as I know kagura is a kind of dance theatre
      associated with shintoh shrines. As such, you can well expect to see
      more than one dancer involved.

      Incidentally, I do have a copy of the book you are interested in
      buying. As I recall, it's fairly decent. Of necessity, it focuses on
      Japanese folk culture.