shirabyoshi dance question

  • onewringgold@netzero.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 27, 2010
      I'm trying to find out how to learn more about how kagura was done in period. I've come across some amazing videos on youtube, and just ordered a book "Invitiation to kagura" from Amazon. Can anyone tell me if this video I've included the link to below is anywhere close to being accurate? If not, if anyone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

      Link to the video--hope this works:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkr1rol1TfI&NR=1

      Arigato,
      Aoyama Narime
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 27, 2010

        Greetings from Solveig! Well, I watched the video. Two things are
        apparent: the instrumentation was fairly modern and of course the fan
        was of modern design. The costume does look like it was derived from
        something from about the right period. Now then, the piece that was
        posted does not even claim to be kagura. It claims to be a recreation
        of shirabyoshi. So, I was not that startled when it did not appear to
        be what I expect of kagura. Are you sure that you are really looking
        for kagura? As far as I know kagura is a kind of dance theatre
        associated with shintoh shrines. As such, you can well expect to see
        more than one dancer involved.

        Incidentally, I do have a copy of the book you are interested in
        buying. As I recall, it's fairly decent. Of necessity, it focuses on
        Japanese folk culture.