Secrets of the Silk Road, coming to Houston TX and Philadelphia PA

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 26, 2010
      Speaking of sensational titles with "Secrets" in them, here's a sensational exhibit that lives up to it.

      Houston Museum of Natural Science, Houston, TX, August 27, 2010 – January 2, 2011
      http://www.hmns.org/exhibits/special_exhibits/silk_road.asp

      and the Penn Museum, Philadelphia, PA, February 5 - June 5, 2011
      http://www.penn.museum/press-releases/786-east-coast-exclusive-from-china-qsecrets-of-the-silk-roadq.html

      I had to make a trip down to LA, found out about this at the last minute and was lucky enough to fit in a visit on the final weekend of this exhibition at the Bowers Museum in Santa Ana.

      If you're interested in archaeology, particularly of Silk Road cultures, it's marvelous! The mummies and artifacts from Urumchi were fascinating (and touching), but there were also a number of funerary artifacts, textiles and so forth from the T'ang Dynasty (contemporaneous with Heian Japan) that were really interesting regional (in some cases rustic) variants on the sorts of things that I'm familiar with from the Shoso-in collection. The one that had me bouncing enough to alert a curious docent was a miniature sugoroku table that bears a strong resemblance to the one from the Shoso-in, pictured on Effingham-sensei's website:
      http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/sugoroku.html

      The Bowers is out of copies of the exhibition catalogue, but it looks like the Penn Museum has them available through their website and museum shop already.

    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 26, 2010
        Wow. I haven't seen this exhibit, but we have Barbara's book on the
        Mummies of Urumchi and that is just fascinating. I am looking forward
        to seeing this in Philly next year.

        Anyone who is interested in the Silk Road should get out and see this stuff.

        -Ii/Jing/Jeong