Re: [SCA-JML] Deadliest Warrior: Ninja Vs Spartan

  • David & Margaret George
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 25, 2010
      Not to mention, on the tv show at least, there was no actual ninjutsu involved whatsoever. from what I could see.

      Dafydd

      On Jul 25, 2010, at 1:38 AM, Bryant Richards wrote:

      > So I downloaded the demo for the Xobox 360 version of Deadliest Warrior. The
      > demo only lets you pick between the Ninja or the Spartan. The game is ok,
      > probably gets better if you get the full version, but I will say this, the
      > Spartan is made damn near invincible and the Ninja is made on the weak side, as
      > in 2 hits and the ninja is dead.
      >
      > In Honor and Service,
      > Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu
      > House Chiburi

      ________________________________
      David A. George
      KB3SHD

    • SeanM
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 25, 2010
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Bryant Richards <ninjalikereflex@...> wrote:
        > So I downloaded the demo for the Xobox 360 version of
        > Deadliest Warrior. The demo only lets you pick between
        > the Ninja or the Spartan. The game is ok, probably gets
        > better if you get the full version, but I will say this, the
        > Spartan is made damn near invincible and the Ninja is
        > made on the weak side, as in 2 hits and the ninja is dead.

        I watched the Ninja vs. Spartan episode yesterday, and I have to agree with your evaluation -- two good hits from the Spartan and the ninja would be dead. However, it was also apparent across several episodes that the program is _incredibly_ slanted to a straight-up fight between the two opponents, rather than the way that either of them would actually have fought. For example, the 'fight' they showed between the Spartan and the ninja had the Spartan walking under the tree the ninja was hidden in, after which the ninja dropped out of the tree and attacked the Spartan from behind, giving the Spartan time to make a shield block. No dropping _on_ the Spartan with his blade already drawn to bury it in his neck, no using the blowgun to put poisoned darts into the unarmored areas on the Spartan -- hell, no sneaking into the Spartan's camp the previous night and poisoning him.

        The same thing was done for a Rajput weapons master against a Roman centurion -- a one-on-one fight, with the centurion's "long range weapon" being a scorpion engine. That's not the way the Romans fought; a century of legionaries, with a couple maniples of Balearic slingers, against an equal-sized group of Rajputana, yes, but not this one-on-one nonsense. The whole program is nothing but weapons porn -- showing off the various weapons that they think would look cool to demonstrate the effects of, then plugging them into some 'battle simulation' whose biases we have no way of knowing. It may be entertainment, but as a recreation of how fighters from the two cultures would have fared against each other, it's a joke.
      • Diane Taylor
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 25, 2010
          I didn't agree with that episode at all. Especially when you think about it.
          Those that were Ninjas always were in disguise. Someone should have smacked
          that guy upside the head for being way too obvious. *much rolling of eyes*
          The outcome could have gone either way, but.. come on.. at least do it right and
          do the research on them. A single attack.. on a Spartan.. in broad daylight.
          Puhleeze. The least they could have done was put the Ninja in infiltration
          mode.. something like a farmer, or a peasant out to get food. But Nooo.. they
          had to go with something so obvious even a modern day person would simply shake
          their head and groan.

          Okay, I'll shut up now and go back to work on my newest novel.

          See ya next time,

          Diane Taylor

          http://dianet-write.weebly.com/
          http://paranormal-minds.blogspot.com/
          http://groups.google.com/group/order-of-demented-dreamers

          Writers don't get mad, they write books.

          ________________________________
          Not to mention, on the tv show at least, there was no actual ninjutsu involved
          whatsoever. from what I could see.

          Dafydd

          On Jul 25, 2010, at 1:38 AM, Bryant Richards wrote:

          > So I downloaded the demo for the Xobox 360 version of Deadliest Warrior. The
          > demo only lets you pick between the Ninja or the Spartan. The game is ok,
          > probably gets better if you get the full version, but I will say this, the
          > Spartan is made damn near invincible and the Ninja is made on the weak side, as
          >
          > in 2 hits and the ninja is dead.
          >
          > In Honor and Service,
          > Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu
          > House Chiburi

        • David & Margaret George
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 26, 2010
            If anyone is interested in historical documentation of ninja families and their involvement in various battles, there is a a book recently released by Dr Kacem Zoughari.

            Here is an Amazon link:

            http://www.amazon.com/Ninja-Ancient-Shadow-Warriors-Japan/dp/0804839271/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280158579&sr=8-1

            It's a very interesting read.

            It also has various illuminations on scrolls showing garb and weapons from as early as 700 AD I believe up until the edo period.

            From my perspective as a student, my guess would be that the ninja would have dressed up as a spartan and would have found an appropriate time to dispatch his target in a way that would have provided the least amount of resistance.

            Cheers,

            Dafydd

            On Jul 25, 2010, at 3:02 PM, Diane Taylor wrote:

            > I didn't agree with that episode at all. Especially when you think about it.
            > Those that were Ninjas always were in disguise. Someone should have smacked
            > that guy upside the head for being way too obvious. *much rolling of eyes*
            > The outcome could have gone either way, but.. come on.. at least do it right and
            > do the research on them. A single attack.. on a Spartan.. in broad daylight.
            > Puhleeze. The least they could have done was put the Ninja in infiltration
            > mode.. something like a farmer, or a peasant out to get food. But Nooo.. they
            > had to go with something so obvious even a modern day person would simply shake
            > their head and groan.
            >
            > Okay, I'll shut up now and go back to work on my newest novel.
            >
            > See ya next time,
            >
            > Diane Taylor
            >
            > http://dianet-write.weebly.com/
            > http://paranormal-minds.blogspot.com/
            > http://groups.google.com/group/order-of-demented-dreamers
            >
            > Writers don't get mad, they write books.
            >
            > ________________________________

            ________________________________
            David A. George
            KB3SHD

          • Al Jul
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 26, 2010
              The ninja disguising himself as a spartan would not be feasible: the facial traits would make it very clear for the spartan that the ninja was not one of his own kind.

              If anyone is interested in historical documentation of ninja families and their involvement in various battles, there is a a book recently released by Dr Kacem Zoughari.

              Here is an Amazon link:

              http://www.amazon.com/Ninja-Ancient-Shadow-Warriors-Japan/dp/0804839271/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280158579&sr=8-1

              It's a very interesting read.

              It also has various illuminations on scrolls showing garb and weapons from as early as 700 AD I believe up until the edo period.

              From my perspective as a student, my guess would be that the ninja would have dressed up as a spartan and would have found an appropriate time to dispatch his target in a way that would have provided the least amount of resistance.

              Cheers,

              Dafydd

              On Jul 25, 2010, at 3:02 PM, Diane Taylor wrote:

              > I didn't agree with that episode at all. Especially when you think about it.
              > Those that were Ninjas always were in disguise. Someone should have smacked
              > that guy upside the head for being way too obvious. *much rolling of eyes*
              > The outcome could have gone either way, but.. come on.. at least do it right and
              > do the research on them. A single attack.. on a Spartan.. in broad daylight.
              > Puhleeze. The least they could have done was put the Ninja in infiltration
              > mode.. something like a farmer, or a peasant out to get food. But Nooo.. they
              > had to go with something so obvious even a modern day person would simply shake
              > their head and groan.
              >
              > Okay, I'll shut up now and go back to work on my newest novel.
              >
              > See ya next time,
              >
              > Diane Taylor
              >
              > http://dianet-write.weebly.com/
              > http://paranormal-minds.blogspot.com/
              > http://groups.google.com/group/order-of-demented-dreamers
              >
              > Writers don't get mad, they write books.
              >
              > ________________________________

            • scott_rekishika
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 26, 2010
                The show is obviously for entertainment purpose only and not for and real information. This entire series really seems to be nothing but a bunch of nonsense really. The samurai episode was also horrible. It was full of the over romanticized bull that fills the pop culture image of the samurai rather than the real history. Plus the costuming was horrible. Most of the time the samurai were wearing Chinese armor or Chinese armor mixed with Japanese armor. And the Chinese body armor, straw conical peasant hat, and samurai mempo mix was just stupid. The so called lord had a cheap fu manchu mustache and what looked like someones "asian design" bathrobe with a kung fu sash for his clothing.These guys obviously put no real work into it. I mean their so called experts were a stunt man that could not even hold a sword properly, and a so called kyudo master descended from a samurai family. However their so called kyudo master used a western style grip on his bow... uugghhh. They used the naginata more like a spear and used that for comparison... NOO. The naginata could stab but it was meant as a cutting weapon. I have seen a number of medieval naginata blades in museums in Japan and the points are so large than stabbing with them in a linear spear style would be awkward. In testing the sword they had the guy hit a viking chain mail coat dead on.... well they would not aim for the armor, they would aim for the weak points in the armor not try to smash through it...... Sorry for this rant adding on to what everyone else already said. I think anyone with any experience in martial arts and/or Japanese history would see it as a joke, and if not then they would rather live in a fantasy world of anime and manga I think rather than learn the reality about samurai. So watch it if you want, I mean I did even though I knew what to expect.... but keep in mind like I did that it is just entertainment with almost no reality in it.
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 26, 2010

                  Greetings from Solveig! I am a bit suspicious of a book where the
                  title includes the phrase "secret history".

                • David & Margaret George
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 26, 2010
                    Ahh,

                    Judging a book by its cover.

                    The author has spent his life studying ninjutsu, and has a Ph.D. in Japanese history and Culture from INALCO and his thesis was : Ninjutsu: Its Form, History, and Essence.

                    I'm not trying to belabor a point, I was just offering it up as some historical information for those who might have further interest in the subject.

                    I currently study ninjutsu, and have made a pilgrimage to Noda city to study with Soke Hatsumi. I have only studied it for a couple of years, but it was what sparked my further interest in Japanese clothing, armour, and culture.

                    My background in the S.C.A. over the years has been mostly 14th century english, so I am new to this subject.

                    Having read the book, and coming from the background of a practitioner I would have to say that his book has been very helpful.

                    Dafydd

                    On Jul 26, 2010, at 8:53 PM, Solveig Throndardottir wrote:

                    > Noble Cousin!
                    >
                    > Greetings from Solveig! I am a bit suspicious of a book where the
                    > title includes the phrase "secret history".
                    >
                    > Your Humble Servant
                    > Solveig Throndardottir
                    > Amateur Scholar

                    ________________________________
                    David A. George
                    KB3SHD

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 26, 2010

                      Greetings from Solveig! I tried to track down the author before I
                      posted my first message. The results were a bit mixed. I found a web
                      page which attributed a Ph.D. to the fellow, but stated that it was
                      his master's thesis which related to ninjutsu. It did not say what his
                      Ph.D. research was about. Nor did a quick search track down the fellow
                      himself. It does leave a trail of footprints which suggest that the
                      fellow is a bit of a showman. For example, he played a local casino a
                      year ago.

                      As for Ph.D.'s in general. I have one of the things. I have met at
                      least one Ph.D. who was widely believed to be a fraud. I met this
                      fellow at a conference when I was myself a newly minted and rather
                      timid Ph.D. One person at the conference tried to cheer me up by
                      telling me that at least "everybody believes your results." A Ph.D.
                      may be a good recommendation, but you still have to look at the
                      research and evaluate it.

                      I have serious suspicions about ninjutsu on general principles. There
                      is a large amount of ninjutsu hooey in Japan. This is not to say that
                      ninja didn't exist, just to say that the hooey level is fairly high.

                      Finally, "secret history" is at least a bit sensational.

                    • Bryant Richards
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 26, 2010
                        Seems I sparked a huge debate here, lol I know the show was a joke. I was
                        referring to the Xbox 360 Video Game based on the show.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 27, 2010
                          About Ph.Ds... some years ago an US professor who had a PhD on spanish culture published a book about Spain (the country in which i live). Let's say that, after reading it, i thought i lived in a different country. It had so many non-senses (like "racial tensions between andalusians and castillians"... who are the same ethnic group, speak the same language and have always been part of the same kingdom!)  that it made us think that the spanish culture PhD would be based in TV shows like McGyver or films like Mission: Impossible 2. Really good if you want to roleplay in a discworld-like Spain, but useless in any other way.