Re: Sleeveless dobuku question

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 16, 2010
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "daffydd1" <dafydd1@...> wrote:
      > My question is were the side seams of the dobuku closed or open?

      Closed. It's basically a kosode-form garment without the overlap panels. It can be sleeveless, have kosode-like sleeves or open tube sleeves.

      There was a discussion on the Tousando forum awhile back at
      http://tousando.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=garb&action=display&thread=1644

      > I made a mock up using the measurements from Baron Effingham's Hitatare pattern, but I'm wondering now if the body panels are wide enough to allow them to meet on the sides.

      Probably not, as hitatare (and kataginu) do not have closed sides and are meant to be held in place with himo or obi under one's hakama. A dobuku is like a coat or jacket which would not be worn under, but over.

      Hope this helps,
    • David & Margaret George
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 16, 2010
        Thanks for the tip.

        I finished it as a kataginu and will re-try a dobuku at another time.

        Thanks again,

        Dafydd MacNab
        Barony of Westermark
        Kingdom of the West

        On Jul 16, 2010, at 3:24 PM, wodeford wrote:

        > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "daffydd1" <dafydd1@...> wrote:
        > > My question is were the side seams of the dobuku closed or open?
        >
        > Closed. It's basically a kosode-form garment without the overlap panels. It can be sleeveless, have kosode-like sleeves or open tube sleeves.
        >
        > There was a discussion on the Tousando forum awhile back at
        > http://tousando.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=garb&action=display&thread=1644
        >
        > > I made a mock up using the measurements from Baron Effingham's Hitatare pattern, but I'm wondering now if the body panels are wide enough to allow them to meet on the sides.
        >
        > Probably not, as hitatare (and kataginu) do not have closed sides and are meant to be held in place with himo or obi under one's hakama. A dobuku is like a coat or jacket which would not be worn under, but over.
        >
        > Hope this helps,
        > Saionji no Hanae
        > West Kingdom

        David A. George