Re: Japanese castle rampart in Southern California

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1 10:44 PM
      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, JL Badgley <tatsushu@> wrote:
      > >
      > > This is something that people may want to check out. Apparently it is
      > > near Ventura, California.

      Aha, found it.
      http://www.stonefoundation.org/ indicates the structure is in Serra Cross Park, in Ventura.
      And there's video: http://www.vimeo.com/9758864

      Saionji no Hanae
      West Kingdom.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 24 7:11 AM
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, JL Badgley <tatsushu@...> wrote:

        > This is something that people may want to check out. Apparently it is
        > near Ventura, California.
        >
        > http://www.stoneworld.com/Articles/Feature_Article/BNP_GUID_9-5-2006_A_10000000000000852056
        >
        > The pictures don't stand out as something most people would notice,
        > but for the enthusiast, it might be cool to check out (and could give
        > a nice backdrop for some close-up photos, it looks like).

        Seeing as I was driving down to LA this weekend, I detoured off the freeway and waaaaaayyyyy uphill to check it out. The view from the top is spectacular, even though it was pretty foggy when I went.

        If you don't know what you're looking at, it just looks like part of a stone staircase. And of course, someone has already grafitti'ed it. It was worth having a look at, though, as long as I was in the area.

        No mortar, it's all dry-stone masonry. Be sure to check out the large size photo of the sphere set in the top of one side of the rampart. Hours of hand work with a chisel....
        http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4095/4822294533_4fa2eb9309_b.jpg

        More photos are in this set:
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/sets/72157624443862881/