Japanese castle rampart in Southern California

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2010
      This is something that people may want to check out. Apparently it is
      near Ventura, California.

      http://www.stoneworld.com/Articles/Feature_Article/BNP_GUID_9-5-2006_A_10000000000000852056

      The pictures don't stand out as something most people would notice,
      but for the enthusiast, it might be cool to check out (and could give
      a nice backdrop for some close-up photos, it looks like).

      Now to fund the rest of the castle....

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2010
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, JL Badgley <tatsushu@...> wrote:

        > This is something that people may want to check out. Apparently it is
        > near Ventura, California.

        Hmmm, I have to go to LA at the end of July. I may have to check this out.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2010
          > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, JL Badgley <tatsushu@> wrote:
          > >
          > > This is something that people may want to check out. Apparently it is
          > > near Ventura, California.

          Aha, found it.
          http://www.stonefoundation.org/ indicates the structure is in Serra Cross Park, in Ventura.
          And there's video: http://www.vimeo.com/9758864

          Saionji no Hanae
          West Kingdom.
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 24, 2010
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, JL Badgley <tatsushu@...> wrote:

            > This is something that people may want to check out. Apparently it is
            > near Ventura, California.
            >
            > http://www.stoneworld.com/Articles/Feature_Article/BNP_GUID_9-5-2006_A_10000000000000852056
            >
            > The pictures don't stand out as something most people would notice,
            > but for the enthusiast, it might be cool to check out (and could give
            > a nice backdrop for some close-up photos, it looks like).

            Seeing as I was driving down to LA this weekend, I detoured off the freeway and waaaaaayyyyy uphill to check it out. The view from the top is spectacular, even though it was pretty foggy when I went.

            If you don't know what you're looking at, it just looks like part of a stone staircase. And of course, someone has already grafitti'ed it. It was worth having a look at, though, as long as I was in the area.

            No mortar, it's all dry-stone masonry. Be sure to check out the large size photo of the sphere set in the top of one side of the rampart. Hours of hand work with a chisel....
            http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4095/4822294533_4fa2eb9309_b.jpg

            More photos are in this set:
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/sets/72157624443862881/