Re: [SCA-China] Black gauze hat/"turban"

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 1, 2010
      On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 10:35 AM, <charmed3x3@...> wrote:

      > Those would require hair...in a top knot.

      That much I figured--and I can actually do something about that (I was
      debating whether to use a wig, or just to stuff it with a false top
      knot--then again, some of the displays seem to show it used in places
      without topknots, and it is just flatter). Still doesn't give me the basic
      shape.

      Do I make a regular "bag" type hat? This is my inclination based on the
      Japanese eboshi, as well as some of the reconstructions I've seen. On the
      other hand, should I make it slightly off-center, so that there is more to
      the back than the front? I'm not sure that would get the right look. Most
      of the examples show some sort of ties--I wish I had pictures (or rather,
      that I could find them) of the guy from the Freer-Sackler whose hat was
      wonderfully detailed in this regard. Still, two ties on the side to go over
      the top and then another length of ties in the back appears to be fairly
      standard. At least one reconstruction shows ties that go under the chin
      (used for those without a topknot in the later examples).

      I have a couple of "bags" that I'm going to experiment with, first, and see
      where things go from there.

      -Ii/Jing

    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 3, 2010
        On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 10:03 PM, Genie Barrett <maggegene@...> wrote:

        > the earliest ones are actually a square kerchief. Long streamers at each
        > corner. The front two are tied at the base of the skull. Then, the back
        > two are brought forward and tied in front of the top knot. That's where you
        > get the knot seen at the top of the head.
        >
        > The stiff ones are apparently stiffened with lacquer.
        >
        > I'll have to try that and see how it is, compared to what I've been working
        with.

        Here's my current attempt at one of the transition hats:

        http://tousando.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=garb&thread=3379&page=1

      • Elaine Koogler
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 3, 2010
          I'm no great shakes at hat making, but...try making a pillbox shaped
          body out of buckram and cover it with black silk gauze. The back part
          you could make as a sort of elongated "U" shape also out of the gauze
          (has more body, IIRC, than plain silk, sew it on, then tie it into the
          shape you want with a tie made of the gauze rolled over several times to
          make it stiffer. Then the parts that hang down could also be made out
          of the gauze. I've also seen pictures where the back piece is what
          looks to be a long strip of silk gauze, stiffened with buckram, then
          sewn onto the base of the pillbox, looped up of the back, then tacked
          down onto the pillbox with the tails hanging down. Kinda hard to
          describe but if you were to take the pillbox part and turn it so you're
          looking at the top of it, it'd be shaped almost like a lower-case d.

          Kiri

          JL Badgley wrote:

          > On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 10:03 PM, Genie Barrett <maggegene@...
          > <mailto:maggegene%40gmail.com>> wrote:
          > >
          > > the earliest ones are actually a square kerchief. Long streamers at each
          > > corner. The front two are tied at the base of the skull. Then, the back
          > > two are brought forward and tied in front of the top knot. That's
          > where you
          > > get the knot seen at the top of the head.
          > >
          > > The stiff ones are apparently stiffened with lacquer.
          > >
          > > I'll have to try that and see how it is, compared to what I've been
          > working
          > with.
          >
          > Here's my current attempt at one of the transition hats:
          >
          > http://tousando.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=garb&thread=3379&page=1
          > <http://tousando.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=garb&thread=3379&page=1>
          >
          > -Ii

          "/It is only with the heart /that one can see clearly; what is essential
          is invisible to the eye."
          --Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, /The Little Prince/

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 12, 2010

            Greetings from Solveig! I am planning on hosting a poetry party at
            Pennsic. This would have a more or less short introduction to Japanese
            poetry followed by poetry writing. I am thinking of holding it in the
            early evening of Saturday AUG 07. Should I just have a regular class
            some afternoon instead? What do folks here think?

          • Jamie Shirley
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 12, 2010
              I have a prior engagement on that Saturday but am very interested in attending,
              if the night changes please let me know so I can plan to attend?
              Fuyutsukime

              Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't and the
              other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it.
              - Robert Frost

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 13, 2010
                But I won't be there that night! :-( I like the idea though.

                ERIN

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 15, 2010

                  Greetings from Solveig! I am planning on hosting a poetry party at
                  Pennsic. This would have a more or less short introduction to Japanese
                  poetry followed by poetry writing. It is currently scheduled to take
                  place immediately after the incense ceremony demonstration. The
                  incense ceremony will take Friday Aug 13 at noon with the poetry
                  meeting following at 1:00. How does that sound?

                  Yes, I am still moving things around at the last minute.

                • Sonny Scott
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 15, 2010
                    I sent you a private message on this. Did you receive it??

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 15, 2010

                      Greetings from Solveig! Here is a preliminary version of a schedule of
                      East Asian related classes at Pennsic. It is set up for two-sided
                      printing.

                      http://www.demoivre.org/Pennsic/AsianClassListBooklet.pdf

                    • yamamura_kitsune
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 16, 2010
                        Thank you for creating this booklet, Solveig. It is a wonderful idea indeed. If I may, I wish to post a correction to one of the classes listed. "Happy Japanese Games" will be presented on Sunday, August 8th at 1:00PM.

                        Kashiko,
                        Yamamura Kitsune
                        Aruki Miko of the Known World
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        yamamura.kitsune@...
                        http://yamamura.weebly.com

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 16, 2010

                          Greetings from Solveig! Here is a readable online preliminary version
                          of a schedule of East Asian related classes at Pennsic.

                          http://www.demoivre.org/Pennsic/AsianClassList.pdf

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 16, 2010

                            > Thank you for creating this booklet, Solveig. It is a wonderful idea
                            > indeed. If I may, I wish to post a correction to one of the classes
                            > listed. "Happy Japanese Games" will be presented on Sunday, August
                            > 8th at 1:00PM.
                            OOPS. I thought that the listings matched what the Pennsic University
                            had listed. Too bad for me it is on Sunday as I was looking forward to
                            attending your class. I believe that I just corrected the listing for
                            your class.

                          • Jeanel Walker
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 16, 2010
                              man i wish i could go just to attend all the Japanese classes. perhaps one year i'll make it just hope this wont be the only time they do them
                              I hope you have an awesome turnout!!!

                              Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takaatsu" of Kisimull

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 16, 2010

                                Greetings from Solveig! Last Summer, several people said that they
                                would like to see two tea ceremonies at Pennsic this Summer. I am
                                curious what day would be a good day for the extra ceremony.
                                Currently, tea is scheduled for the evening of Thursday AUG 12. I am
                                thinking of scheduling the extra tea ceremony for the evening of
                                Sunday AUG 08. What do people think?

                              • Jamie Ritter
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 16, 2010
                                  I am very interested in the tea ceremony, and if I am unable to attend either I had hoped you would teach me at another time. Sunday the 8th my camp is cooking a goat on a spit and we are hosting a dinner. Plus, the known world rapier champions tourney is at 4 and my baroness has asked me to fight in it. One of my biggest goals while at pennsic is to learn or at the very least attend your tea ceremony.
                                  Fuyutsukime

                                  Sent from my iPod

                                  On Jul 16, 2010, at 6:44 PM, Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...> wrote:

                                  Noble Cousins!

                                  Greetings from Solveig! Last Summer, several people said that they
                                  would like to see two tea ceremonies at Pennsic this Summer. I am
                                  curious what day would be a good day for the extra ceremony.
                                  Currently, tea is scheduled for the evening of Thursday AUG 12. I am
                                  thinking of scheduling the extra tea ceremony for the evening of
                                  Sunday AUG 08. What do people think?

                                • hector baez
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 17, 2010
                                    Can anyone show up and take the classes as long as there is an opening
                                    or do we have to pre-reg for them and where do we pre-reg?

                                    regards

                                    Ector
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 17, 2010

                                      > Can anyone show up and take the classes as long as there is an opening
                                      > or do we have to pre-reg for them and where do we pre-reg?

                                      Pennsic classes are pretty much on a first-come first-served basis.

                                    • yamamura_kitsune
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 23, 2010
                                        Greetings Solveig,

                                        Not a problem, I thought it best to inform you and anyone else that may have intended on attending this class. I'm not sure what mishap may have happened, but that is the date I was given. It is unfortunate that you won't be able to attend; I don't believe we've had the opportunity to be formally introduced even though we've spoke on several occasions via email.

                                        I only have the one formal class but we will be using the games, which I'm presenting in class, during Tengusanji's Bon Festival. If you can make it, I would gladly discuss the class informally then.

                                        I will post details about the event separately to the list.