Re: [SCA-JML] Straw Hat

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 22, 2010

      > I was curious if anyone knew how to make a ronin style straw hat,
      > and if so if they could provide instructions or a pattern to make one?
      I do not believe that there is a specific "ronin style" straw hat.
      Perhaps you should be more specific.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 22, 2010

        Greetings from Solveig! I was asked to coordinate a Japanese Culture
        Demo at Pennsic this Summer and agreed to do so. The demo is supposed
        to include such things as informal classes, exhibitions of arts &
        crafts, participatory stuff, and what naught. Does anyone here have
        any suggestions about what informal classes I should contribute to
        this mini-event. Please help me out. I always tell people that I can
        be boring at a moment's notice. My goal is to do better than that.
        Thank you very much!

      • RoseAnna Downing-Vicklund
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 23, 2010
          Are you looking for teachers or just class ideas?

          I know that I am interested in taking classes to help develop a Japanese persona--things like how to greet people, incorporating Japanese court ranks into SCA usage, how to put together an affordable Japanese kit, gender roles, pastimes such as poetry or art, religion in period, things like that. The details that really flush out the personas.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 23, 2010
            Yes, I would love to be to those classes. However, I'm going to be in California when Pensic is on. Would there be any way to have the class handouts collected for those who pay in advance and mailed to us?
          • ErinK
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 23, 2010
              I believe we are still looking for teachers/demos. A bunch of Clan Yama Kaminari people are interested in helping but not all of us have mad skills ... (and, as usual, some with mad skills are unavailable for Pennsic this year).

              I think the focus is supposed to be more on demos and a "drop-in" situation rather than like a formal class.

              Please get in touch with Solveig-sensei if you have a demo to offer. I also can help out if you have some ideas but are not sure what would be appropriate - I've been involved a bit in the planning too.

              ERIN