Re: Hajimemashite, mina-sama!

  • James Eckman
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 8, 2010
      Posted by: "wodeford" wodeford@... wodeford
      > Movies are entertainment. They are not obliged to be historically
      > accurate.
      The Japanese Taiga dramas are usually a bit better about this, but the
      above caution still applies. Since they have several that cover a wide
      range of periods, its good for a starter. I also saw on one the building
      of the Daibutsu that was quite entertaining. I also study Chinese
      painting, you could see the influence from the Tang court.

      > Kurosawa's period pieces are fictional stories, inspired by everything from Noh plays to Shakespeare to American Westerns.

      Or at least one mystery, knowing what a mystery lover Kurosawa was, I'm
      fairly certain Yojimbo was inspired by Dashiell Hammet's Red Harvest.

      Jim