Re: Hajimemashite, mina-sama!

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 7, 2010
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas" <dsunlin@...> wrote:

      > May we assume that Kurosawa's films are historically correct, generally speaking?

      Movies are entertainment. They are not obliged to be historically accurate.

      Kurosawa's period pieces are fictional stories, inspired by everything from Noh plays to Shakespeare to American Westerns.

      Many of his films have spectacularly good costume design. In fact, I spotted a number of reproductions of museum-piece garments in "Kagemusha," which tells you how much of a geek I am.

      Movies can be a stepping off point. However, if you want to research what people were wearing in a particular period, you need to look at surviving garments and art from the period showing what people are wearing.

    • James Eckman
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 8, 2010
        Posted by: "wodeford" wodeford@... wodeford
        > Movies are entertainment. They are not obliged to be historically
        > accurate.
        The Japanese Taiga dramas are usually a bit better about this, but the
        above caution still applies. Since they have several that cover a wide
        range of periods, its good for a starter. I also saw on one the building
        of the Daibutsu that was quite entertaining. I also study Chinese
        painting, you could see the influence from the Tang court.

        > Kurosawa's period pieces are fictional stories, inspired by everything from Noh plays to Shakespeare to American Westerns.

        Or at least one mystery, knowing what a mystery lover Kurosawa was, I'm
        fairly certain Yojimbo was inspired by Dashiell Hammet's Red Harvest.

        Jim