Re: Kurosawa stills gallery.

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 5, 2010
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas" <dsunlin@...> wrote:
      > Of course, my favorite "samurai" is Toshiro Mifune's character Kikuchiyo in Seven Samurai.

      I'm not sure the ones here will be particularly helpful for replicating Kikuchiyo's look, but I stumbled upon a very nice collection of stills from Kurosawa films a few months ago and I don't remember if I ever put it up here:

      http://www.kurosawamovies.com/gallery/main.php

      Oooh, now THIS eye-bleeder from "Kagemusha" is amazing! LOVE IT!
      http://www.kurosawamovies.com/gallery/d/2423-2/kagemusha58.jpg

      Enjoy,
    • Audrey Bergeron-Morin
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 6, 2010
        This is amazing! Thank you for sharing!

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 6, 2010

          > By the way, is there a difference in cut between an old kosode and
          > a modern yukata? I have a yukata that fits me in the same way it
          > fits Mifune-san. I would probably have to make it in silk.

          In a word, YES there are differences between kosode, modern kimono,
          modern yukata, and modern nemaki.

        • Douglas
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 7, 2010
            Thank you everyone, for you ideas and help!

            May we assume that Kurosawa's films are historically correct, generally speaking?

            -Douglas

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 7, 2010
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas" <dsunlin@...> wrote:

              > May we assume that Kurosawa's films are historically correct, generally speaking?

              Movies are entertainment. They are not obliged to be historically accurate.

              Kurosawa's period pieces are fictional stories, inspired by everything from Noh plays to Shakespeare to American Westerns.

              Many of his films have spectacularly good costume design. In fact, I spotted a number of reproductions of museum-piece garments in "Kagemusha," which tells you how much of a geek I am.

              Movies can be a stepping off point. However, if you want to research what people were wearing in a particular period, you need to look at surviving garments and art from the period showing what people are wearing.

            • James Eckman
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 8, 2010
                Posted by: "wodeford" wodeford@... wodeford
                > Movies are entertainment. They are not obliged to be historically
                > accurate.
                The Japanese Taiga dramas are usually a bit better about this, but the
                above caution still applies. Since they have several that cover a wide
                range of periods, its good for a starter. I also saw on one the building
                of the Daibutsu that was quite entertaining. I also study Chinese
                painting, you could see the influence from the Tang court.

                > Kurosawa's period pieces are fictional stories, inspired by everything from Noh plays to Shakespeare to American Westerns.

                Or at least one mystery, knowing what a mystery lover Kurosawa was, I'm
                fairly certain Yojimbo was inspired by Dashiell Hammet's Red Harvest.

                Jim