Re: Hajimemashite, mina-sama!

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 4 3:51 PM
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas" <dsunlin@...> wrote:
      > By the way, is there a difference in cut between an old kosode and a modern yukata? I have a yukata that fits me in the same way it fits Mifune-san. I would probably have to make it in silk.

      Yes. They're cut a bit bigger and the sleeves have curved edges.
      http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm has details, including how to make one.

      Warning, silk will eventually rot from contact with human perspiration. I usually recommend folks wear a cotton or linen layer (breathable and more laundry-friendly) under their silks, but Kiku-chan - well, we saw the fishing scene. The Japanese had hemp and ramie, two plant-based fibers, for which linen is a decent substitute, and even some cotton toward the end of this period. Depends on what you want to do and how much care you want to give to the resulting garment

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 5 7:37 PM
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas" <dsunlin@...> wrote:
        > Of course, my favorite "samurai" is Toshiro Mifune's character Kikuchiyo in Seven Samurai.

        I'm not sure the ones here will be particularly helpful for replicating Kikuchiyo's look, but I stumbled upon a very nice collection of stills from Kurosawa films a few months ago and I don't remember if I ever put it up here:

        http://www.kurosawamovies.com/gallery/main.php

        Oooh, now THIS eye-bleeder from "Kagemusha" is amazing! LOVE IT!
        http://www.kurosawamovies.com/gallery/d/2423-2/kagemusha58.jpg

        Enjoy,
      • Audrey Bergeron-Morin
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 6 8:25 AM
          This is amazing! Thank you for sharing!

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 6 7:01 PM

            > By the way, is there a difference in cut between an old kosode and
            > a modern yukata? I have a yukata that fits me in the same way it
            > fits Mifune-san. I would probably have to make it in silk.

            In a word, YES there are differences between kosode, modern kimono,
            modern yukata, and modern nemaki.

          • Douglas
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 7 11:08 AM
              Thank you everyone, for you ideas and help!

              May we assume that Kurosawa's films are historically correct, generally speaking?

              -Douglas

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 7 1:23 PM
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas" <dsunlin@...> wrote:

                > May we assume that Kurosawa's films are historically correct, generally speaking?

                Movies are entertainment. They are not obliged to be historically accurate.

                Kurosawa's period pieces are fictional stories, inspired by everything from Noh plays to Shakespeare to American Westerns.

                Many of his films have spectacularly good costume design. In fact, I spotted a number of reproductions of museum-piece garments in "Kagemusha," which tells you how much of a geek I am.

                Movies can be a stepping off point. However, if you want to research what people were wearing in a particular period, you need to look at surviving garments and art from the period showing what people are wearing.

              • James Eckman
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 8 8:35 AM
                  Posted by: "wodeford" wodeford@... wodeford
                  > Movies are entertainment. They are not obliged to be historically
                  > accurate.
                  The Japanese Taiga dramas are usually a bit better about this, but the
                  above caution still applies. Since they have several that cover a wide
                  range of periods, its good for a starter. I also saw on one the building
                  of the Daibutsu that was quite entertaining. I also study Chinese
                  painting, you could see the influence from the Tang court.

                  > Kurosawa's period pieces are fictional stories, inspired by everything from Noh plays to Shakespeare to American Westerns.

                  Or at least one mystery, knowing what a mystery lover Kurosawa was, I'm
                  fairly certain Yojimbo was inspired by Dashiell Hammet's Red Harvest.

                  Jim