Re: Having armour made...Now for the Garb.

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2010

      > Have you toured the Costume Museum yet? http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/
      > fukusyoku/
      > It has a pretty wide variety of costumes posted online these days.

      Oh, before I forget, the English language side of the Kyoto Costume Museum lumps Kamakura through Momoyama periods together, however, things are listed chronologically there.

      http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/garb.html may help you sort out what's appropriate by time period, degree of formality, etc.

    • Ellen Badgley
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2010

        > Oh, before I forget, the English language side of the Kyoto Costume Museum
        > lumps Kamakura through Momoyama periods together, however, things are listed

        Well, of course! As long as those silly samurai were in charge, no real
        culture happened, unlike the days of our scintillating and enlightened
        capital. ;)

        Abe Akirakeiko
        Nara (and occasionally Heian) snob

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2010
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Ellen Badgley <flyingrat42@...> wrote:
          > Well, of course! As long as those silly samurai were in charge, no real
          > culture happened, unlike the days of our scintillating and enlightened
          > capital. ;)

          Except for the textile artists. As much as I love the elegance of Our Storied Capital, there are an AWFUL lot of pretty things being made for those silly samurai to wear. The imaginative variety.....