Having armour made...Now for the Garb.

  • The Bodyguard
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2010
      Previously i have asked which would be cheaper to have armour made, or just buy a suit pre-made...well, i am going to have it made by a friend.

      Its going to be a little cheaper than buying a "New" suit online, but I think this will be better because he is going to fit it to me.

      So, anyway, now I am trying to find some pic's of 15th/16th century asian "street" garb...and i seem to be having a bigger issue with this than I thought I was going to.

      By street garb, I mean just regualr everyday clothes to be worn when not in battle and/or suiting up.

      Any suggestions?

      -g-
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2010
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "The Bodyguard" <pool_player68@...> wrote:
        > So, anyway, now I am trying to find some pic's of 15th/16th century asian "street" garb...and i seem to be having a bigger issue with this than I thought I was going to.

        Have you been here yet?

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2010

          > So, anyway, now I am trying to find some pic's of 15th/16th century
          > asian "street" garb...and i seem to be having a bigger issue with
          > this than I thought I was going to.
          >
          > By street garb, I mean just regualr everyday clothes to be worn
          > when not in battle and/or suiting up.
          >
          > Any suggestions?
          Have you toured the Costume Museum yet? http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/
          fukusyoku/
          It has a pretty wide variety of costumes posted online these days.
          Please understand that Japanese culture tends to create uniforms of
          one sort or another for different activities. So, there are the
          clothes you wear to the bath. The clothes that you wear while
          commuting to work. The clothes that you wear while actually at work.
          The clothes that you play golf in. &c. &c. This approach tends to
          hold for both premodern and modern Japan. You may be confused by
          watching chanbara movies. One of the things that you see in some
          chanbara films is depictions of people reduced to poverty where they
          only have one set of clothing.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2010

            > Have you toured the Costume Museum yet? http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/
            > fukusyoku/
            > It has a pretty wide variety of costumes posted online these days.

            Oh, before I forget, the English language side of the Kyoto Costume Museum lumps Kamakura through Momoyama periods together, however, things are listed chronologically there.

            http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/garb.html may help you sort out what's appropriate by time period, degree of formality, etc.

          • Ellen Badgley
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2010

              > Oh, before I forget, the English language side of the Kyoto Costume Museum
              > lumps Kamakura through Momoyama periods together, however, things are listed

              Well, of course! As long as those silly samurai were in charge, no real
              culture happened, unlike the days of our scintillating and enlightened
              capital. ;)

              Abe Akirakeiko
              Nara (and occasionally Heian) snob

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 3, 2010
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Ellen Badgley <flyingrat42@...> wrote:
                > Well, of course! As long as those silly samurai were in charge, no real
                > culture happened, unlike the days of our scintillating and enlightened
                > capital. ;)

                Except for the textile artists. As much as I love the elegance of Our Storied Capital, there are an AWFUL lot of pretty things being made for those silly samurai to wear. The imaginative variety.....