Re: [SCA-JML] jinbaori pattern

  • Jeanel Walker
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2010
      I made mine without a pattern
      I used the same idea as making a kesoto and then decided how i wanted it to look. ie length i have a photo of it but its not uploaded yet if your interested in seeing it i can see what i can do.
      I used a  brightly painted material that I would never dream of wearing but fits well for this. it has gold thread weaved through the cloth . I also made two small pockets to slide bamboo slats into the shoulders so it would stand out and give me the look of broad shoulders

      Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takaatsu" of Kisimull

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2010
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Jeanel Walker <brytephyre@...> wrote:
        > I also made two small pockets to slide bamboo slats into the shoulders so it would stand out and give me the look of broad shoulders

        Edo period kataginu were stiffened in this manner, however, this method was not in fashion during our period.

        Compare the two images below.
        16th century kataginu kamishimo, shoulders unstiffened.
        http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/27.htm

        Edo period kataginu kamishimo with stiffened shoulders:
        http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/kosode/9.htm

        As far as I'm aware, jinbaori did not receive this treatment because they were generally worn over armor which provides plenty of bulk as it is.

      • William Giltner
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2010
          My own Jinbaori was made from the best example I could find: in Arms and Armor of the Samurai by Bottomly and Hopson on page 152 (also 145).

          ISBN#: 0-517-64467-3

          I hope this helps.

          William S. Giltner

          Lrd Tatsuo Okami