Re: [SCA-JML] jinbaori pattern

  • Bryant Richards
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2010
      >There is so much variety, it is hard to pin down.

      Probably why I'm having trouble finding it, I had the idea of just modifying the kataginu as you mentioned, so I guess I will do that.

      In Honor and Service,
      Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu
      House Chiburi

    • Jeanel Walker
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2010
        I made mine without a pattern
        I used the same idea as making a kesoto and then decided how i wanted it to look. ie length i have a photo of it but its not uploaded yet if your interested in seeing it i can see what i can do.
        I used a  brightly painted material that I would never dream of wearing but fits well for this. it has gold thread weaved through the cloth . I also made two small pockets to slide bamboo slats into the shoulders so it would stand out and give me the look of broad shoulders

        Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takaatsu" of Kisimull

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2010
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Jeanel Walker <brytephyre@...> wrote:
          > I also made two small pockets to slide bamboo slats into the shoulders so it would stand out and give me the look of broad shoulders

          Edo period kataginu were stiffened in this manner, however, this method was not in fashion during our period.

          Compare the two images below.
          16th century kataginu kamishimo, shoulders unstiffened.
          http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/27.htm

          Edo period kataginu kamishimo with stiffened shoulders:
          http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/kosode/9.htm

          As far as I'm aware, jinbaori did not receive this treatment because they were generally worn over armor which provides plenty of bulk as it is.

        • William Giltner
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2010
            My own Jinbaori was made from the best example I could find: in Arms and Armor of the Samurai by Bottomly and Hopson on page 152 (also 145).

            ISBN#: 0-517-64467-3

            I hope this helps.

            William S. Giltner

            Lrd Tatsuo Okami