Perspective in period painting (was: Women in the arts)

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2010
      On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 7:38 AM, wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:

      > In closing, I append an image of women playing music at an aristocratic banquet:
      > http://www.tnm.go.jp/gallery/search/images/max/C0016933.jpg

      I love that image, but I just noticed something strange: Look at the
      trays in front of the noblemen on the upper section. They are all
      flush with the tatami, and presumably rectangular, and yet they all go
      off in different directions. In particular it looks like the painter
      might have been radiating out from the middle...until you get over to
      the koto where there is a tray aligned with the koto (not to mention
      the other tatami mat on which the women are playing).

      Nothing of too much import--I just found it interesting and thought I'd share.

      Message 2 of 3 , May 31, 2010
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, JL Badgley <tatsushu@...> wrote:
        > I love that image, but I just noticed something strange: Look at the
        > trays in front of the noblemen on the upper section.

        Hmm, maybe so the artist could show all the items the guests were feasting upon while the hungry spirits were lurking about the scene?

        I love the Gaki Zoshi scroll. It's weird and wonderful and horrifying and has such great details of everyday life.

      • JL Badgley
        Message 3 of 3 , May 31, 2010
          On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 10:01 AM, wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:

          > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, JL Badgley <tatsushu@...> wrote:
          >> I love that image, but I just noticed something strange:  Look at the
          >> trays in front of the noblemen on the upper section.
          >
          > Hmm, maybe so the artist could show all the items the guests were feasting upon while the hungry spirits were lurking about the scene?
          >
          > I love the Gaki Zoshi scroll. It's weird and wonderful and horrifying and has such great details of everyday life.

          This may be ascribing too much consideration of perspective for the
          time, but perhaps it was a deliberate attempt to make things seem
          "off" in the scroll; something you can sense but might not immediately
          put your finger on (I know I've seen this picture before and never
          thought about it).