Re: [SCA-JML] Making armour or buying it...

  • sekinakagawa@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 25 4:20 PM
      Greetings,
      That's a great question one that has to be analyzed to find the right
      answer. Is this armor going to be metal, leather or plastic barrel? Are you
      going to have the time and patient to do all the lacing? The helm has to be
      metal or course so do you have the equipment to work on it? These are some of
      the questions that has to be conceder before getting an answer. I have made
      several sets of plastic barrel and it beats the price of purchasing a set
      plus you get the satisfaction of knowing that you made it. However, the
      helm was purchase from a nice Lord in Louisiana and there are other great
      merchants who sale Japanese kabutos.

      Humbly,
      Sukeie

      To ask a question may be a moments' shame,
      But not to ask and remain ignorant, is a life long shame.

    • rayzentz@aim.com
      Message 2 of 4 , May 25 4:52 PM
        In my opinion, it is almost always "cheaper" to purchase it, at least initially. In addition to cost of tools and materials, the hours required, which could be spent in other pursuits, must be factored in. However, I believe it is much more rewarding to make your own. However, after you have the skills down, you can make another for someone who is looking for the "cheaper" route, and recoup some of the expense, which may, eventually, change the equation.

        Padruig

        Dr. Raymond Zentz

        It is better to die a free man, than to live, a slave.