Self Introduction and Request for information

  • Alvin R.
    Message 1 of 1 , May 25, 2010
      Greetings All,

      My name is Alvin. I am a Ren Faire re-enactor based in San
      Diego, California. I am currently in a Swiss pike group,
      but I am obviously Asian, Filipino to be specific. I have
      made a couple sets of leather lamellar armor and wish to
      branch out into Japanese armor.

      I have done some reading from Lord Effingham's Japanese armor
      manual online but have not found a answer to this question:

      Have Japanese armorers ever made thicker kozane by gluing the
      flesh sides together?

      I was told that whenever the fibrous sides of two straps of
      leather are glued together, the strength of the new strap is
      stronger than if the two straps stayed separate. I was
      wondering if this knowledge was ever used by the Japanese in
      armor construction.

      If this really did happen, this would accelerate some of my
      future armor making plans.

      Domo Aregato,
      Alvin