Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Questions about 1500-1600 clothing

  • Audrey Bergeron-Morin
    Message 1 of 39 , May 15, 2010
      > Examining the pictures of extant pieces I have I would say there is
      > evidence for both overlap and not _as they currently exist. _However_ (big
      > caveat) almost every picture I have of extant pieces says in the
      > commentary that the piece has been _retailored_ in its history. Some of
      > them you can tell because the patterns don't match anymore. And I suspect
      > it happened to all of them since it was customary to take them apart to
      > wash them.

      Thank you!

      I have now found examples of both types, so I think it probably doesn't
      matter what I do, as long as I do all my layers the same way.

      Here are a few examples.

      Not offset:
      http://www.tnm.go.jp/en/servlet/Con?&pageId=E16&processId=01&col_id=I4069&img_id=C0015212&ref=2&Q1=&Q2=&Q3=&Q4=11310_16_____&Q5=&F1=&F2=

      Offset
      http://www.kyohaku.go.jp/cgi-bin/detail2e.cgi?mz_synm=2000005224&gazo_no=1&fa=c019185&limit_no=20&name1=kosode

      Half-offset
      http://www.kyohaku.go.jp/cgi-bin/detail2e.cgi?mz_synm=0000006101&gazo_no=1&fa=c019421&limit_no=15&name1=kosode

      Audrey
    • JL Badgley
      Message 39 of 39 , Dec 14, 2010
        On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 1:47 AM, Erin Kelly <tupan4@...> wrote:
        > Does anyone here know how old/applicable these expressions (learned via
        > modern Japanese pop culture) might be?
        >
        >  - Yosh! (motivating exclamation before attempting something physical or
        > difficult)
        >  - Yu-issho! (I think this is to motivate people working together, but I
        > might be mis-hearing it.)
        >  - Ganbatte! (go for it/ do your best)
        >  - Yatta! (I did it)
        >
        > ERIN

        They all strike me as modern, and yet I wouldn't worry about that for
        purposes of the SCA; it will still add flavor to your persona. The
        words are not necessarily modern, I just don't know about the
        pronunciation.