Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Questions about 1500-1600 clothing

  • Jennifer Kobayashi
    Message 1 of 39 , May 15, 2010
      >Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Questions about 1500-1600 clothing

      Examining the pictures of extant pieces I have I would say there is evidence for both overlap and not _as they currently exist. _However_ (big caveat) almost every picture I have of extant pieces says in the commentary that the piece has been _retailored_ in its history. Some of them you can tell because the patterns don't match anymore. And I suspect it happened to all of them since it was customary to take them apart to wash them.

      So to answer this question I think you would have to find someone with a period pattern book - and that's not me unfortunately. Good luck and sorry not to be of more help.

      - Ki no Izumi
    • JL Badgley
      Message 39 of 39 , Dec 14, 2010
        On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 1:47 AM, Erin Kelly <tupan4@...> wrote:
        > Does anyone here know how old/applicable these expressions (learned via
        > modern Japanese pop culture) might be?
        >
        >  - Yosh! (motivating exclamation before attempting something physical or
        > difficult)
        >  - Yu-issho! (I think this is to motivate people working together, but I
        > might be mis-hearing it.)
        >  - Ganbatte! (go for it/ do your best)
        >  - Yatta! (I did it)
        >
        > ERIN

        They all strike me as modern, and yet I wouldn't worry about that for
        purposes of the SCA; it will still add flavor to your persona. The
        words are not necessarily modern, I just don't know about the
        pronunciation.