Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Magic

  • Sonny Scott
    Message 1 of 7 , May 10 6:17 PM
      If I recall something I read; the Japanese "Magicians Circle" was very closed. Almost a secret society or 'old boys club'. I'm willing to think that very little was written down for publication.

      Message 2 of 7 , May 10 6:51 PM

        Greetings from Solveig! Mundanely, Kuji dono is a "full service
        magician". I recommend participating in his annual Pennsic party if
        you are at Pennsic.

        I'm not sure whether there was stage magic in premodern Japan. There
        were various flavors of magicians and the yamabushi were notorious
        enough as humbugs to be the but of a whole genre of kyogen plays. As
        I recall, Kuji dono has chosen to recreate a yamabushi.

        Message 3 of 7 , May 10 6:56 PM

          Greetings from Solveig! I agree with what Ii dono brought up. If I
          recall correctly, it is called "sarugaku" if you want a search term.
          Regardless, there were street performers who performed a variety of
          acrobatic stunts and such like.