Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Magic

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 7 , May 10 5:43 PM
      On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 12:07 AM, wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:

      > The person who would likely know is Kuji-dono. Try contacting him via his website as I don't believe he's on this list these days:
      >
      > http://kuji.windycitywizard.com/
      >
      > I met him the last time I was back east for Pennsic and I was suitably impressed by his skills.

      I've camped with him, and I'm impressed by both his skills and his
      knowledge (e.g. tracking down where certain tricks show up and the
      paths they follow). He has many plausibly period, if not period,
      tricks that will work in a Japanese context.

      The problem that you get into in a place like Japan is the fine line
      between a religious person and a charlatan. For instance, did a
      medium actually believe that they were speaking for the dead, did they
      believe they were providing a service to the community, or had they
      just found a way to get paid? These are tricky questions. If a
      yamabushi or priest is under pressure to show the community "miracles"
      of some sort, then is it worth a trick or to in order to foster a true
      belief?

      Also, a lot of "magic" gets roped into the various acrobatic feats.
      Doing somersaults and climbing a ladder made of sword blades might be
      considered similar tricks to the average person. Furthermore, I don't
      know how many of those kinds of shows were actually written down.

      Suggestions for those looking for plausibly period magic to do at events:

      1) Simple tricks with a Japanese flair. I've seen cups and balls done
      with Japanese bowls and a tiny buddha (actually, Hotei) statue instead
      of the typical cups and balls.

      2) Look through the stories. The ancient stories have all sorts of
      magic in them, and I'm sure that an enterprising person could figure
      out how to do them. I really need to practice turning oranges into
      mice, for instance--one of the tricks that Seimei is supposed to have
      done in front of the emperor. You can often take modern tricks and
      adapt them to period stories such that you now have something that
      fits in a Japanese milieu.

      Does that help?

      -Ii
    • Bryant Richards
      Message 2 of 7 , May 10 5:54 PM
        >Does that help?
        Yes that does, thank you very much. Also interestingly enough it is so much easier to find "Chinese Magic" vs Japanese, I wonder why that is?

        In Honor and Service,
        Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu
        House Chiburi

      • Sonny Scott
        Message 3 of 7 , May 10 6:17 PM
          If I recall something I read; the Japanese "Magicians Circle" was very closed. Almost a secret society or 'old boys club'. I'm willing to think that very little was written down for publication.

          Message 4 of 7 , May 10 6:51 PM

            Greetings from Solveig! Mundanely, Kuji dono is a "full service
            magician". I recommend participating in his annual Pennsic party if
            you are at Pennsic.

            I'm not sure whether there was stage magic in premodern Japan. There
            were various flavors of magicians and the yamabushi were notorious
            enough as humbugs to be the but of a whole genre of kyogen plays. As
            I recall, Kuji dono has chosen to recreate a yamabushi.

            Message 5 of 7 , May 10 6:56 PM

              Greetings from Solveig! I agree with what Ii dono brought up. If I
              recall correctly, it is called "sarugaku" if you want a search term.
              Regardless, there were street performers who performed a variety of
              acrobatic stunts and such like.