Magic

  • Bryant Richards
    Message 1 of 7 , May 10, 2010
      Would anyone happen to know off hand if there was "Magic" in period Japan? And what I mean by magic is "tricks" you know, pulling a rabbit out of a hat, making something seem to vanish, etc. I watched a movie about a Chinese man who did a trick called "the thousand masks" where he would wear a mask but every time he waved his hand over his face the mask would be different. I got to thinking that something like that would be a fun and interesting A&S project to do, I'm just having a hard time finding good resources. Found some that mention things like that but don't give enough detail to figure out if it was period or how to do it.

      In Honor and Service,
      Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu
      House Chiburi

      Message 2 of 7 , May 10, 2010
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Bryant Richards <ninjalikereflex@...> wrote:

        > Would anyone happen to know off hand if there was "Magic" in period Japan? And what I mean by magic is "tricks" you know, pulling a rabbit out of a hat, making something seem to vanish, etc.

        The person who would likely know is Kuji-dono. Try contacting him via his website as I don't believe he's on this list these days:

        http://kuji.windycitywizard.com/

        I met him the last time I was back east for Pennsic and I was suitably impressed by his skills.

      • JL Badgley
        Message 3 of 7 , May 10, 2010
          On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 12:07 AM, wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:

          > The person who would likely know is Kuji-dono. Try contacting him via his website as I don't believe he's on this list these days:
          >
          > http://kuji.windycitywizard.com/
          >
          > I met him the last time I was back east for Pennsic and I was suitably impressed by his skills.

          I've camped with him, and I'm impressed by both his skills and his
          knowledge (e.g. tracking down where certain tricks show up and the
          paths they follow). He has many plausibly period, if not period,
          tricks that will work in a Japanese context.

          The problem that you get into in a place like Japan is the fine line
          between a religious person and a charlatan. For instance, did a
          medium actually believe that they were speaking for the dead, did they
          believe they were providing a service to the community, or had they
          just found a way to get paid? These are tricky questions. If a
          yamabushi or priest is under pressure to show the community "miracles"
          of some sort, then is it worth a trick or to in order to foster a true
          belief?

          Also, a lot of "magic" gets roped into the various acrobatic feats.
          Doing somersaults and climbing a ladder made of sword blades might be
          considered similar tricks to the average person. Furthermore, I don't
          know how many of those kinds of shows were actually written down.

          Suggestions for those looking for plausibly period magic to do at events:

          1) Simple tricks with a Japanese flair. I've seen cups and balls done
          with Japanese bowls and a tiny buddha (actually, Hotei) statue instead
          of the typical cups and balls.

          2) Look through the stories. The ancient stories have all sorts of
          magic in them, and I'm sure that an enterprising person could figure
          out how to do them. I really need to practice turning oranges into
          mice, for instance--one of the tricks that Seimei is supposed to have
          done in front of the emperor. You can often take modern tricks and
          adapt them to period stories such that you now have something that
          fits in a Japanese milieu.

          Does that help?

          -Ii
        • Bryant Richards
          Message 4 of 7 , May 10, 2010
            >Does that help?
            Yes that does, thank you very much. Also interestingly enough it is so much easier to find "Chinese Magic" vs Japanese, I wonder why that is?

            In Honor and Service,
            Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu
            House Chiburi

          • Sonny Scott
            Message 5 of 7 , May 10, 2010
              If I recall something I read; the Japanese "Magicians Circle" was very closed. Almost a secret society or 'old boys club'. I'm willing to think that very little was written down for publication.

              Message 6 of 7 , May 10, 2010
                Noble Cousin!

                Greetings from Solveig! Mundanely, Kuji dono is a "full service
                magician". I recommend participating in his annual Pennsic party if
                you are at Pennsic.

                I'm not sure whether there was stage magic in premodern Japan. There
                were various flavors of magicians and the yamabushi were notorious
                enough as humbugs to be the but of a whole genre of kyogen plays. As
                I recall, Kuji dono has chosen to recreate a yamabushi.

                Message 7 of 7 , May 10, 2010
                  Noble Cousins!

                  Greetings from Solveig! I agree with what Ii dono brought up. If I
                  recall correctly, it is called "sarugaku" if you want a search term.
                  Regardless, there were street performers who performed a variety of
                  acrobatic stunts and such like.