Bardic Bedlam

  • Electric Wolf
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2010
      Hello all,

      I just wanted to share that I am entering a couple of challenges tomorrow at Bardic Bedlam here in Calontir and I will be sharing some waka with my audience.

      I have written one for the Dean's Challenge whose theme is Spring.

      cherry blossom showers
      mirror the rain giving life
      parasols in bloom
      a color garden in the street
      reflected in the fields of flower

      flowers open hearts as well
      love blooms as life begins anew
      once more event and feast
      land of the falcon banner
      finds in itself a worthy foe

      songs, mugs and a fire
      rise to warm the night and heart
      ale song and shield-wall
      the sky is painted above the lake
      friends families unite year after year

      I know that some lines are kind of off on the exact pattern but I went more with feeling and flow than with strict rules adherence...

      For Authenticity's Delight I am entering a poem I found in the Anthology recommended here a few months back and have gathered up references mainly as practice since this isn't really a competition but included them anyway.

      wamigata
      Chihiro no soko mo
      Tatoureba
      Asaki se ni naru
      Mi no urami ka na

      The inlet of Iwami
      For all its thousand-fathom depth
      Is but a shoal
      When measured against
      My longing

      Research : This poem was recorded in a collection titled Roppyaku ban uta awase (The Poetry Match in Six Hundred Rounds) a poetry collection written in 1194. It was created during a poetry competition at the home of Fujiwara no Yoshitsune (1169-1206), Senior Minister of State. 13 nobles of very high rank and a serving girl are recorded as contributing to this collection. Poetry competitions were where two groups would compose waka and then they and some judges would decide the better of the two. They were known for going on for weeks. The waka originated from the renga which was where people would pass around a poem and each would add a series of lines while keeping with the given theme. They would add lines in the pattern of 5-7-5-7-7, this pattern would eventually become the waka and by the Edo period the last two lines were dropped to become the well known haiku. This particular poem was entered under the subject of `Spring Dawn', by Fujiwara no Takanobu and won due to the other one making a direct reference to the subject which is considered bad form.

      I know this is too late for everyone to contribute suggestions, corrections, etc. but with my odd schedule and my reluctance to even actually attempt these challenges prevented me from bringing this up earlier. So, feel free to encourage, ridicule, etc. and I will be glad to take it all in for my next challenge. :)

      David "Okabe" Mc.
      Nullum beneficium inpune stat.