j-car names

  • lynnx@enteract.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 23, 2000
      > Well, they just sound... cool. Exotic, that is, to Japanese ears.

      ...hear ya, any nonsense word that sounds J would impress a
      typical Yankee likewise.

      But i got the impression at the time (i hope i was WRONG)
      that they were aiming those at the u.s. market. <cringe> I
      think I heard of or saw an ad or whatever about it while i
      was a dispatcher for amoco motor club between semesters at
      college. *That's* what scared me.

      > There's a line of small van/utility vehicles from Daihatsu called the "Rex"
      > (if ever a tiny pathetic vehicle was misnamed, it's the Rex line).

      (Rex of course means king. Is the emperor short? :-P)

      I'm sticking with my Bronco. If of course it hasn't frozen
      to death after 6+ weeks under probly 10 feet of snow,
      including the plowed-over-it stuff)

      (OT alert ...well, in a sense this *all* is since cars
      aren't period. Not that you could prove it by mine)
      Reminds me of the Yugo, of which a guy i used to know said
      "Yugo or I go, there ain't enough room for both of us"

      Out net-"4-wheeling" one time i ran across a site put up for
      gaijin (by one) headed for Japan, about What It's Really
      Like. He said Japan is probly the only place on the planet
      where you would call a truck "cute" :-)

      (I've been dyin' to see some pix. If Daihatsu has a web
      page, maybe now i can kill of this burning curiosity! Never
      mind the text i just wanna *see* some of 'em)

      ****<SHAMELESS PLUG>*****
      I probly mentioned this but in case... I have the SCA-OT
      list on egroups for folks who want to say more on (surprise)
      o.t. subjects from other lists... Only *one* forbidden
      topic on that list: When's period begin or end Really.
      Everything else is up for grabs! :)

      Now... You Have Somewhere Else To Take It!
      ****</SHAMELESS PLUG>****

      > The larger, more useful is the Rex Combi (from "combination", i.e., multiple uses).

      well at least they got it *half* right - i could see
      "combo". In fact less offensive to me really than "SUV"
      ("Sport utility vehicle". Which to me sounds like another
      social-worker smarmy euphemism like "Significant Other" -
      signifying nothing ...try calling my 1980, very overworked
      Bronco "sport"... Don't be standing in front of it.) ;->

      > My favorite is... and I swear I'm not making this up...
      > is the Rex LaLa.

      EEeek!!!! that's one of the "Teletubbies"!
      <<spitspitptthth-hack-hackgag koff>>

      If they're gonna do that to a car - even a littlebitty
      spamcan - why not just call it "Barney"?? (then they can
      call the 2-door sporty-foof version "Baby Bop")

      (Eeek!
      You folks in Japan pleeaaase, do NOT say this in front of
      any car salespeople or mfr.s reps, these people do not need
      any more scarey ideas!!)

      (thanks Effingham for the laffs :-)

      YISF
      s.e.