Looking for translators...

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 13, 2010
      Greetings from the Far West!

      Abe-hime and I are looking for translators to help with a huge
      translation effort of SCA materials. We are hoping to do it piecemeal
      as we can, but we would love assistance.

      We would like to translate the following items into the languages of
      the Barony (Japanese, Thai, Korean, and potentially Chinese [just
      thinking of the future]):

      1. West Kingdom Marshal's Handbook
      2. West Kingdom Law
      3. Far West Customs and Traditions
      4. Any articles on what it means to be in the SCA.

      I'm sure there will be more, but these are the things we need with the
      most urgency. So--is there anyone who would be willing to volunteer?
      Our thought is that we can throw all of the items through a machine
      translator (e.g. Babelfish or Google Translate) and then they can be
      refined from there so that they actually make sense. Among the more
      difficult areas are figuring out good translations for SCA-specific
      terms: as well as translations of SCA specific terms for Western
      persona vice persona from the country in question (e.g. in Japanese,
      "Danshaku" evokes an image of a "Baron", but that isn't necessarily a
      period appropriate term for a Japanese persona).

      We are asking people to do this pro bono, and the work will be put up
      on the Baronial Wiki (and hopefully the Baronial Web Page,
      eventually), though we can offer credit and our thanks.

      Please contact me privately if you have any interest in helping out,
      and we'll see where we can go with this think.

      Thank you
      どうもありがとうございます
      ขอบคุณ
      감사합니다