Re: [SCA-JML] OT: Need Advice About Archaeological Dig in Japan

  • Sonny Scott
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 12, 2010
      I would try to find time to take one adventure by myself or with a friend or two. Those types of adventures are so much more memorable than a group expedition to some place.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 12, 2010

        > I would try to find time to take one adventure by myself or with a
        > friend or two. Those types of adventures are so much more memorable
        > than a group expedition to some place.
        It depends a bit on just how adventurous the "sapling" is. Regardless,

        1. if possible, have the grand excursion follow the dig.
        Scheduling may work better if the excursion precedes the dig,
        but the saplings should be more familiar with getting around if they
        are on their own following the dig.
        2. be sure to buy a JR Rail Pass before departure.
        3. buy a membership in International Youth Hostel.
        4. buy a copy of the Lonely Planet Guide to Japan.

        Note. Youth Hostels are quite reliable, but they do have curfew by
        which time you must be inside. Curfew is typically at 10:00 PM.
        Note. Japanese Youth Hostels typically offer breakfast and dinner
        options which are often a good way to go.
        Note. If you are traveling in anything resembling off season, you can
        call the next Youth Hostel in your itinerary either the night before
        or the morning of your stay and book space.
        Note. I believe that they now have online reservations for Youth
        Hostels.
        Note. There are several alternatives to Youth Hostels including
        Minchku, Business Hotels, and even the infamous Capsule Hotels.
        Capsule Hotels are not inexpensive. So, unless you really want to
        experience one, I do not recommend them.
        Note. They "roll up the streets" in Japan, so the 10:00 curfew is not
        as bad as it sounds. The last trains depart major stations in Tokyo
        at around midnight.
        Note. Be sure to get a copy of the national train schedule. I hear
        that there is a version in English available. Regardless, the trains
        are very punctual.

      • JL Badgley
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 13, 2010
          On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Solveig Throndardottir
          <nostrand@...> wrote:
          > 2. be sure to buy a JR Rail Pass before departure.

          One cautious note on the JR Rail Pass: it is only worth the money if
          you are traveling a lot over long distances. So if, for instance you
          are going to be traveling for just a weekend a few stops away, the
          rail pass might not be worth it.

          For figuring out travel, Hyperpedia.com is great: It gives both time
          AND cost, so you can see whether a rail pass would be worth it for
          you.

          Oh, and Mori-dono, if you need SCA contacts while you are in Japan,
          make sure to contact us and check out the Barony of the Far West--the
          website is out of date, but we have an unofficial wiki
          (farwestbarony.wikia.com) that people are keeping up to date. You and
          your young one can also join the baronial web group:

          Once here, depending on how close they are to anyone, they can check
          out events and get together with the SCA out here.

          -Ii Toonishi-no-kami Katsumori