Japanese persona history question

  • rowen_g
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 6, 2010
      Greetings, good folk,

      I was recently asked a question to which I did not have an answer, and wondered if someone here might be able to point me in the appropriate direction.

      Is it possible to determine who were the first half-dozen or so of folk elevated to the order of the Laurel, who had at the time specifically Japanese personas? I realize that as some of these are no longer known by their earlier names, tracking this could be difficult, but I feel sure that if it is possible, someone here will know how it might be done.

      in appreciation,

      Rowen Brithwallt
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 6, 2010
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "rowen_g" <rowengr@...> wrote:
        > Is it possible to determine who were the first half-dozen or so of folk elevated to the order of the Laurel, who had at the time specifically Japanese personas?

        The only person Laurel I am aware of in the West Kingdom for Japanese arts was the late Omatsu Yoshiaki who received his peerage in 1990.
        http://history.westkingdom.org/Who/Who-O.htm

        The reason I know this is because every old-timer who is introduced to me simply HAS to invoke his name at me. ;-D

        Saionji no Hanae
      • rowen_g
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 6, 2010
          Ah, thank you. Any in other kingdoms? (I will admit to some "stealth" here - I was Laurel'd as Kitare Hinoki (plus more bits of name) in May of 1980, and was looking for others of that "vintage" as I was asked about it, and hadn't a clue.)

          Rowen, formerly Hinoki

          > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "rowen_g" <rowengr@> wrote:
          > > Is it possible to determine who were the first half-dozen or so of folk elevated to the order of the Laurel, who had at the time specifically Japanese personas?
          >
          > The only person Laurel I am aware of in the West Kingdom for Japanese arts was the late Omatsu Yoshiaki who received his peerage in 1990.
          > http://history.westkingdom.org/Who/Who-O.htm
          >
          > The reason I know this is because every old-timer who is introduced to me simply HAS to invoke his name at me. ;-D
          >
          > Saionji no Hanae

        • Elaine Koogler
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 6, 2010
            I know that Master Edward of Effingham (Hiraizumi Tôrokurô Tadanobu) was
            Laureled in the Midrealm some years back and I received my Laurel
            partially for Japanese research in 2001. I am not aware of any other
            Laurels in this area in Atlantia.

            Kiri

            --
            "/It is only with the heart /that one can see clearly; what is essential
            is invisible to the eye."

          • Deb Strub
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 6, 2010
              I was laurelled in 1994 in An Tir and have been a Japanese persona for
              nearly all of my 30+ years in the SCA. Does this help?

              YIS,

              Murakami Tsuruko

              Barony of Dragon's Laire

              Kingdom of An Tir

              _____

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 7, 2010
                Yes, thank you; all responses are appreciated.

                Rowen