Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Questionable Garb

    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 1, 2010

      > Er, no. "Kimono" is a word that came into usage during the 19th
      > century to differentiate Japanese things to wear from Western
      > things to wear.

      I'm not sure that is quite correct either. "Wafuku" is the technical
      term for Japanese style clothing and "yofuku" is the technical term
      for Western style clothing. Kimono refers rather specifically to how
      something is worn and does not refer to trousers to which the verb
      "haku" (to pull up and on) applies instead of the verb "kiru" which
      more or less means "to wrap". (Disclaimer, I have been progressively
      forgetting Japanese. So sad.)

      > "Kosode" are period. They are similar to modern kimono, however,
      > they have smaller sleeves with curved front edges and the
      > proportions are different owing to a slightly wider fabric width
      > having been used earlier.

      There are several different shapes to the sleeves of the kosode.

      Pedantically yours,