Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Questionable Garb

  • Jeanel Walker
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 31, 2010
      it is actually very close to the shribyoshi dancer were during the hean period I made my out fit from scratch
      http://www.seleone.org/seleonepeople.html
      im the 24th person in line and you can see the garb i have since replaces the swirls with the proper pom poms and did my my research and submitted the info for A&S
      those sleeves goes to the under top and that over top is sleeveless it reminds me more like a big bib
      as for my documentation if you need it I can get a copy to you and the resource books isbn #s as well

      in later years the sharibyoshi dancers split into two groups one went the way of the shrine maidens and the other you know as gashia
      the makeup for that time period is white faces very small lips red, and two dots over there eyebrows
      my computer was formatted so i dont have my links like I use to or i would give you better info you cold have your hands on now. im beg your forgiveness

      "bows most humbly"

      Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takaatsu or Takinaga" of Kisimull

      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 1, 2010
        >where is she? what event? maybe one of us could help?????

        She is in Murray, KY and the event we are aiming for is Not So Grand the last weekend of April, in Bowling Green, KY

        In Honor and Service,
        Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu
        House Chiburi

      • richard johnson
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 1, 2010
          My first japanese garb was a pajama thing....
          **black pants with elastic waist.
          **floral pattern kosode-style top that barely covered the elastic in the
          bottoms.
          **rubber zori.
          **A sword that I had to rebuild from the inside out... I actually wrapped
          knitting yarn around the handle and used a 4" steel washer for a tsuba.

          But then, the count (former king last season and very long vet in the SCA)
          wore a karate gi with two sai made from #4 rebar!

          So if I (and he) could get away with that!!!!!,

          My current garb still shocks some people, but it also impresses others...
          As someone wiser tham me stated before, it all depends on how polite they
          are and how knowledgeable they are.

          And if anyone complains, comment on the "two-towels sewn together as a
          tabard over denim jeans and biker boots" that are handed around<g>.

          Now back to finishing my Cutting Stand. I have my Last Legend to play with
          this weekend since I really hate my Hanwei Practical Pro (cannot even sell
          the thing)<GGG>

          Also finishing my bone needle case for those ivory needles I made last
          week. And the wood combs and hair pins...
          OK, I just like making things!

          --
          Rick Johnson
          http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 1, 2010

            > This certainly seems like "a reasonable attempt at pre-17th-century
            > clothing."
            >
            > Yeah, the sleeves are kind of wrong, but I've seen worse from
            > newbies. You probably should replace the red ribbon with something
            > more subtle, if it's easy. (Hmm, I was just reading something
            > about those sleeves, maybe the ribbon should be tightened? I think
            > only men wore that style of sleeve in pre-Edo Japan. I can look it
            > up if you want details.)
            I believe that you are talking about the sleeve lacings found at the
            wrist of sode (sleeves) and the ankle of hakama (trousers). This sort
            of garment was on occasion worn by women. It just gets called a
            "hosonaga" instead of a "suikan" or a "kariginu". Historically they
            come in a variety of colors and there should not be a problem with
            red lacings.

            Depending upon period. Women might wear two pairs of hakama one with
            short legs and one with long (your foot is in the middle and you walk
            on the things) legs.

            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 1, 2010

              > The SCA Governing Documents say that all you have to do is show up
              > in an attempt at pre-17th c. dress.
              >
              > It doesn't say good attempt.
              > It doesn't say reasonable attempt.
              It does, however, imply an "honest attempt". That is, you are being a
              bit dishonorable if you are using the word "attempt" to justify
              deliberately doing stuff that is wrong to "tweek people" or "tweek
              the society" or some similar thing. The most particular of
              authenticity mavens are perfectly ok with you wearing orthopedic
              shoes, eye glasses, &c. that you need. Personally, I have horrible
              sewing skills. My clothing projects generally fail. Just go out there
              and do your own personal best and you should do just fine.
              Incidentally, please check out the Japanese clothing history at the
              costume museum: http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/ and you will get a
              pretty good tour of what historical Japanese clothing looked like.

              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 1, 2010

                > Er, no. "Kimono" is a word that came into usage during the 19th
                > century to differentiate Japanese things to wear from Western
                > things to wear.

                I'm not sure that is quite correct either. "Wafuku" is the technical
                term for Japanese style clothing and "yofuku" is the technical term
                for Western style clothing. Kimono refers rather specifically to how
                something is worn and does not refer to trousers to which the verb
                "haku" (to pull up and on) applies instead of the verb "kiru" which
                more or less means "to wrap". (Disclaimer, I have been progressively
                forgetting Japanese. So sad.)

                > "Kosode" are period. They are similar to modern kimono, however,
                > they have smaller sleeves with curved front edges and the
                > proportions are different owing to a slightly wider fabric width
                > having been used earlier.

                There are several different shapes to the sleeves of the kosode.

                Pedantically yours,