Questionable Garb

  • Bryant Richards
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 31 4:28 AM
      Ok before anyone yells at me I am fully aware that the link below is a cosplay outfit and will probably make most of you cringe. But let me place my question about it in the form of a scenerio:

      Your a new female to the SCA
      You want to do a Japanese Persona
      You have less than 3 weeks untill an event you want to go to
      You cannot Sew
      You don't know anyone that can sew

      with all that in mind would this be a "passable" solution? atleast as a temporary solution? And if this is even barely passable what can be done to modify it to make it less cringe worthy?
      http://www.cosplayhouse.com/Inuyasha-Kikyo-Cosplay-Costume.html

      also keep in mind that the cheapest red Hakama that we can find is about the same price as the whole costume.
      This girl is also perfectly ok with the whole Shinto Priestess look.

      In Honor and Service,
      Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu
      House Chiburi

    • the.lady.phoenix@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 31 5:08 AM
        I think the sleeves are way off given the patterns I have. Too I
        don't know, big, and I'm not sure if the red string around the "cuffs"
        is period or not. However, I'm pretty sure most SCAians wouldn't
        recognize a period outfit for a Japanese persona, just like your
        average person would have no idea how to find the starter in their car
        without having to have a mechanic describe in detail or look it up in
        a manual somewhere.

        Might I ask about her location? or general size? And Time table (when
        does she need it?)? What Time period is she going for?

        I'm working on making some kimonos (literally thing to wear), a kimono
        is not that hard to sew, the thing you have to be aware of is finding
        and buying fabric appropriate for the season. Kimonos as we know them
        I'm told are just out of period or if you want to be generous at the
        tail end of it. only with narrower obis. My area (being generous
        with a 3 to 4 hour drive to get tot he next 4 if traffic and lights
        are with me), is having sewing days/workshops on a regional level
        within the kingdom.

        my biggest issue is how do I want to finish the seams.

        Sara

      • Leonard, Elizabeth A. @ Sacramento
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 31 7:33 AM
          Uesugi,
          When I first glanced this costume, I thought "Hey, throw an unbound or
          sash-bound (narrow obi) kimono over the top of that and I'd call it
          good!" Little nagging things like the modern shape of the backpiece of
          the hakama, the sashes in the sleeves (should go on outermost layers, I
          believe- not undermost layer) and the fact that the sleeves are stitched
          closed at the bottom (doesn't work with sashes anyway) would all be
          hidden by an extra layer of kimono- if you can find one that fits the
          sleeves.

          -Hosokawa Yukiko

          ...Your a new female to the SCA
          You want to do a Japanese Persona
          You have less than 3 weeks untill an event you want to go to
          You cannot Sew
          You don't know anyone that can sew

          with all that in mind would this be a "passable" solution? atleast as a
          temporary solution? And if this is even barely passable what can be done
          to modify it to make it less cringe worthy?
          http://www.cosplayhouse.com/Inuyasha-Kikyo-Cosplay-Costume.html
          <http://www.cosplayhouse.com/Inuyasha-Kikyo-Cosplay-Costume.html>
          In Honor and Service,
          Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu
          House Chiburi

        • ErinK
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 31 7:41 AM
            This certainly seems like "a reasonable attempt at pre-17th-century clothing."

            Yeah, the sleeves are kind of wrong, but I've seen worse from newbies. You probably should replace the red ribbon with something more subtle, if it's easy. (Hmm, I was just reading something about those sleeves, maybe the ribbon should be tightened? I think only men wore that style of sleeve in pre-Edo Japan. I can look it up if you want details.)

            In the context of SCA period, the effect is not so much "shinto priestess" as "someone forgot to put on all her clothes." The clothes persisted as a religious costume post-period, but they were a standard "first layer" for women in early period. Miko (female priests and temple attendants) still wear these today. In the context of most SCAdians, well, they probably watched Inu-Yasha and didn't study ladies' Heian dress, so they sometimes assume it's religious garb. (And yes, I do occasionally wear the same thing with no overgarment ... sometimes I just decide it's good enough!)

            Looks like a good price, let us know how it works out!

            ERIN
          • Deb Strub
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 31 7:51 AM
              Greetings Uesugi,

              The red hakama would pass but the kimono-type upper garment is
              closer to a man's garment and wouldn't be the best choice unless you can
              alter the sleeves. A plain white kimono (kosode in SCA time period) would
              work better for you. See if there is a plain white women's kimono on the
              same site. If not try a costume shop in your area; you may find something
              passable there. Another option is to check your local Goodwill, Salvation
              Army, etc. I once found a brocade Korean dress there. Though water damaged
              the fabric was salvageable for another outfit. A kimono from any of these
              places isn't period but would probably look more correct than the white
              garment on the website, and would get you through your event until you get a
              chance to make something more appropriate.

              YIS,

              Murakami Tsuruko

              An Tir

              _____

              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 31 8:20 AM
                Or you could search for a "nagajuban" on Ebay. Yeah, it's underwear, but it's white underwear. :)

                Alexis

                ________________________________

[...]

                Or you

              • rayzentz@aim.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 31 8:35 AM
                  I have read the responses to your question, and agree with them as a rule. However, most SCAdians are polite enough that they would say nothing, even if they dis-approve of the garb. There are those who are not polite, however. Here is my suggestion on how to deal with these...

                  Impolite SCAdian: "That garb is not (period) (correct) (accurate)!" <insert appropriate word here>
                  New girl (gushing): "Oh, I know. I (am new to the SCA) (Didn't have time) (don't have money for "real" garb). Thank you SO MUCH for volunteering to (make) (buy) more appropriate garb for me. I am so happy that there are such kind people in the SCA. Here are my measurements."

                  The impolite SCAdian will likely look a bit confused, stammer out something, and leave, never to mention anything to you again.

                  It has been my experience that most SCAdians are pleased that you are making a reasonable effort. I have dealt with the other kind on a few occasions. Arrogance and poor manners just bring out the worst in me... ;-)

                  Lord Padruig McTavish
                  Bard of Arrows' Flight

                  Dr. Raymond Zentz

                  It is better to die a free man, than to live, a slave.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 31 9:51 AM
                    The SCA Governing Documents say that all you have to do is show up in an attempt at pre-17th c. dress.

                    It doesn't say good attempt.
                    It doesn't say reasonable attempt.
                    It doesn't say you must spend a lot of money on something that you know is wrong and are never going to wear again once you can do better.
                    It says show up and make an attempt. Period.

                    What your attempt, or hers is, is entirely up to you.

                    It is not up to me.

                    It is not up to anyone else.

                    Saionji no Hanae, refusing to pass judgement.
                    West Kingdom
                  • Elaine Koogler
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 31 10:52 AM
                      And besides...it's her first event. All that the rules say is that
                      there needs to be an attempt at period clothing. I certainly would call
                      this at least an attempt!

                      Kiri

                      Leonard, Elizabeth A. @ Sacramento wrote:

                      > Uesugi,
                      > When I first glanced this costume, I thought "Hey, throw an unbound or
                      > sash-bound (narrow obi) kimono over the top of that and I'd call it
                      > good!" Little nagging things like the modern shape of the backpiece of
                      > the hakama, the sashes in the sleeves (should go on outermost layers, I
                      > believe- not undermost layer) and the fact that the sleeves are stitched
                      > closed at the bottom (doesn't work with sashes anyway) would all be
                      > hidden by an extra layer of kimono- if you can find one that fits the
                      > sleeves.
                      >
                      > -Hosokawa Yukiko
                      >
                      > ...Your a new female to the SCA
                      > You want to do a Japanese Persona
                      > You have less than 3 weeks untill an event you want to go to
                      > You cannot Sew
                      > You don't know anyone that can sew
                      >
                      > with all that in mind would this be a "passable" solution? atleast as a
                      > temporary solution? And if this is even barely passable what can be done
                      > to modify it to make it less cringe worthy?
                      > http://www.cosplayhouse.com/Inuyasha-Kikyo-Cosplay-Costume.html
                      > <http://www.cosplayhouse.com/Inuyasha-Kikyo-Cosplay-Costume.html>
                      > <http://www.cosplayhouse.com/Inuyasha-Kikyo-Cosplay-Costume.html
                      > <http://www.cosplayhouse.com/Inuyasha-Kikyo-Cosplay-Costume.html>>
                      > In Honor and Service,
                      > Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu
                      > House Chiburi

                      "/It is only with the heart /that one can see clearly; what is essential
                      is invisible to the eye."
                      --Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, /The Little Prince/

                    • aimee brooks
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 31 10:55 AM
                        That's a lot better than my first attempt at SCA garb was!
                        Like the others have said, that could be modified or added to to make it
                        even better. And even if your friend upgrades out of it to much more
                        correct period garb, she's still got a cool cosplay outfit:)
                        -Hirokawa no Tsuru
                      • Bryant Richards
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 31 3:46 PM
                          >The impolite SCAdian will likely look a bit confused, stammer out
                          something, and leave, never to mention anything to you again.

                          Oh my I think I love this idea to much!

                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 31 3:51 PM
                            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, the.lady.phoenix@... wrote:

                            > I'm working on making some kimonos (literally thing to wear), a kimono
                            > is not that hard to sew, the thing you have to be aware of is finding
                            > and buying fabric appropriate for the season. Kimonos as we know them
                            > I'm told are just out of period or if you want to be generous at the
                            > tail end of it.

                            Er, no. "Kimono" is a word that came into usage during the 19th century to differentiate Japanese things to wear from Western things to wear.

                            "Kosode" are period. They are similar to modern kimono, however, they have smaller sleeves with curved front edges and the proportions are different owing to a slightly wider fabric width having been used earlier.

                            Please have a look at http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm for more information.

                            > my biggest issue is how do I want to finish the seams.
                            I do mine by hand, folding the raw edges inward and binding them with an overcast stitch. Seam binding or serging are also viable. None of these techniques are authentic, simply because narrow Japanese fabric meant lots of selvages and few, if any, raw edges to deal with.

                          • Bryant Richards
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 31 4:01 PM
                              >Might I ask about her location? or general size? And Time table (when
                              does she need it?)? What Time period is she going for?

                              She lives in Murray (Western, KY), I don't really know her size off hand, but just to be honest she is on the bigger end, mostly just because she is well busted. The event we are trying to have it ready for is the last weekend of April, and event in Bowling Green, KY called Not So Grand. And she is wanting Sengoku Period cause her husband is Sengoku Period.

                              Thank you for everyone's input, I am glad that I can get honest constructive criticism from this group. From everyone's reply this would be "ok", for the price, for a starter set of garb, especially if we can modify it a bit, throw another layer on it. Kosode is the only thing I know how to make so I can probably throw one together. Anyway good starter garb, but should only be worn as something to wear untill she gets her "real" garb. After she gets her real garb we can throw this in our Households Gold Key box, and use it as loaner garb for newbies as we get them.

                              By the way anyone coming to Not So Grand, or are near enough to Bowling Green and wants to come, atleast half my House will be there. We have a nice pavilion for the field and any of you are welcome to sit under it, as well as join us as we "asianup the place"

                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 31 4:36 PM
                                You are most welcome.

                                Padruig

                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 31 5:39 PM
                                  Western women portraying Japanese - sport bras are your friend. Just sayin'
                                  :-)

                                  Tsuruko

                                  _____

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 31 7:21 PM
                                    It's not awful.
                                    I've not seen that style of sleeve on a woman.
                                    Other that that, it's reasonably close to Kamakura era women.
                                    If she folds the sleeve in half and tucks all the extra length inside and ?safety pins? it, and takes off the red strings it will pass

                                    where is she? what event? maybe one of us could help?????

                                    Tsukiko

                                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Bryant Richards <ninjalikereflex@...> wrote:

                                    > Ok before anyone yells at me I am fully aware that the link below is a cosplay outfit and will probably make most of you cringe. But let me place my question about it in the form of a scenerio:
                                    >
                                    > Your a new female to the SCA
                                    > You want to do a Japanese Persona
                                    > You have less than 3 weeks untill an event you want to go to
                                    > You cannot Sew
                                    > You don't know anyone that can sew
                                    >
                                    > with all that in mind would this be a "passable" solution? atleast as a temporary solution? And if this is even barely passable what can be done to modify it to make it less cringe worthy?
                                    > http://www.cosplayhouse.com/Inuyasha-Kikyo-Cosplay-Costume.html
                                    >
                                    > also keep in mind that the cheapest red Hakama that we can find is about the same price as the whole costume.
                                    > This girl is also perfectly ok with the whole Shinto Priestess look.
                                    >

                                    > In Honor and Service,
                                    > Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu
                                    > House Chiburi

                                  • Jeanel Walker
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 31 8:57 PM
                                      it is actually very close to the shribyoshi dancer were during the hean period I made my out fit from scratch
                                      http://www.seleone.org/seleonepeople.html
                                      im the 24th person in line and you can see the garb i have since replaces the swirls with the proper pom poms and did my my research and submitted the info for A&S
                                      those sleeves goes to the under top and that over top is sleeveless it reminds me more like a big bib
                                      as for my documentation if you need it I can get a copy to you and the resource books isbn #s as well

                                      in later years the sharibyoshi dancers split into two groups one went the way of the shrine maidens and the other you know as gashia
                                      the makeup for that time period is white faces very small lips red, and two dots over there eyebrows
                                      my computer was formatted so i dont have my links like I use to or i would give you better info you cold have your hands on now. im beg your forgiveness

                                      "bows most humbly"

                                      Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takaatsu or Takinaga" of Kisimull

                                      I've not seen that style of sleeve on a woman.

                                      Other that that, it's reasonably close to Kamakura era women.

                                      If she folds the sleeve in half and tucks all the extra length inside and ?safety pins? it, and takes off the red strings it will pass

                                      where is she? what event? maybe one of us could help?????

                                      Tsukiko

                                      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups .com, Bryant Richards <ninjalikereflex@ ...> wrote:

                                      > Ok before anyone yells at me I am fully aware that the link below is a cosplay outfit and will probably make most of you cringe. But let me place my question about it in the form of a scenerio:

                                      > Your a new female to the SCA

                                      > You want to do a Japanese Persona

                                      > You have less than 3 weeks untill an event you want to go to

                                      > You cannot Sew

                                      > You don't know anyone that can sew

                                      > with all that in mind would this be a "passable" solution? atleast as a temporary solution? And if this is even barely passable what can be done to modify it to make it less cringe worthy?

                                      > http://www.cosplayh ouse.com/ Inuyasha- Kikyo-Cosplay- Costume.html

                                      > also keep in mind that the cheapest red Hakama that we can find is about the same price as the whole costume.

                                      > This girl is also perfectly ok with the whole Shinto Priestess look.

                                      > In Honor and Service,

                                      > Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu

                                      > House Chiburi

                                    • Bryant Richards
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Apr 1, 2010
                                        >where is she? what event? maybe one of us could help?????

                                        She is in Murray, KY and the event we are aiming for is Not So Grand the last weekend of April, in Bowling Green, KY

                                        In Honor and Service,
                                        Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu
                                        House Chiburi

                                      • richard johnson
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Apr 1, 2010
                                          My first japanese garb was a pajama thing....
                                          **black pants with elastic waist.
                                          **floral pattern kosode-style top that barely covered the elastic in the
                                          bottoms.
                                          **rubber zori.
                                          **A sword that I had to rebuild from the inside out... I actually wrapped
                                          knitting yarn around the handle and used a 4" steel washer for a tsuba.

                                          But then, the count (former king last season and very long vet in the SCA)
                                          wore a karate gi with two sai made from #4 rebar!

                                          So if I (and he) could get away with that!!!!!,

                                          My current garb still shocks some people, but it also impresses others...
                                          As someone wiser tham me stated before, it all depends on how polite they
                                          are and how knowledgeable they are.

                                          And if anyone complains, comment on the "two-towels sewn together as a
                                          tabard over denim jeans and biker boots" that are handed around<g>.

                                          Now back to finishing my Cutting Stand. I have my Last Legend to play with
                                          this weekend since I really hate my Hanwei Practical Pro (cannot even sell
                                          the thing)<GGG>

                                          Also finishing my bone needle case for those ivory needles I made last
                                          week. And the wood combs and hair pins...
                                          OK, I just like making things!

                                          --
                                          Rick Johnson
                                          http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Apr 1, 2010

                                            > This certainly seems like "a reasonable attempt at pre-17th-century
                                            > clothing."
                                            >
                                            > Yeah, the sleeves are kind of wrong, but I've seen worse from
                                            > newbies. You probably should replace the red ribbon with something
                                            > more subtle, if it's easy. (Hmm, I was just reading something
                                            > about those sleeves, maybe the ribbon should be tightened? I think
                                            > only men wore that style of sleeve in pre-Edo Japan. I can look it
                                            > up if you want details.)
                                            I believe that you are talking about the sleeve lacings found at the
                                            wrist of sode (sleeves) and the ankle of hakama (trousers). This sort
                                            of garment was on occasion worn by women. It just gets called a
                                            "hosonaga" instead of a "suikan" or a "kariginu". Historically they
                                            come in a variety of colors and there should not be a problem with
                                            red lacings.

                                            Depending upon period. Women might wear two pairs of hakama one with
                                            short legs and one with long (your foot is in the middle and you walk
                                            on the things) legs.

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Apr 1, 2010

                                              > The SCA Governing Documents say that all you have to do is show up
                                              > in an attempt at pre-17th c. dress.
                                              >
                                              > It doesn't say good attempt.
                                              > It doesn't say reasonable attempt.
                                              It does, however, imply an "honest attempt". That is, you are being a
                                              bit dishonorable if you are using the word "attempt" to justify
                                              deliberately doing stuff that is wrong to "tweek people" or "tweek
                                              the society" or some similar thing. The most particular of
                                              authenticity mavens are perfectly ok with you wearing orthopedic
                                              shoes, eye glasses, &c. that you need. Personally, I have horrible
                                              sewing skills. My clothing projects generally fail. Just go out there
                                              and do your own personal best and you should do just fine.
                                              Incidentally, please check out the Japanese clothing history at the
                                              costume museum: http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/ and you will get a
                                              pretty good tour of what historical Japanese clothing looked like.

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Apr 1, 2010

                                                > Er, no. "Kimono" is a word that came into usage during the 19th
                                                > century to differentiate Japanese things to wear from Western
                                                > things to wear.

                                                I'm not sure that is quite correct either. "Wafuku" is the technical
                                                term for Japanese style clothing and "yofuku" is the technical term
                                                for Western style clothing. Kimono refers rather specifically to how
                                                something is worn and does not refer to trousers to which the verb
                                                "haku" (to pull up and on) applies instead of the verb "kiru" which
                                                more or less means "to wrap". (Disclaimer, I have been progressively
                                                forgetting Japanese. So sad.)

                                                > "Kosode" are period. They are similar to modern kimono, however,
                                                > they have smaller sleeves with curved front edges and the
                                                > proportions are different owing to a slightly wider fabric width
                                                > having been used earlier.

                                                There are several different shapes to the sleeves of the kosode.

                                                Pedantically yours,