Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Did the Japanese knit?

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 15, 2010
      On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 10:34 AM, carriepalmer.geo
      <carriepalmer.geo@...> wrote:
      > Well I'm sorry I didn't know.

      No need to apologize.

      FYI, most period socks or stockings I've seen are actually not
      knitted. I know that weaving may not be what you're looking for, but
      hirao (especially the early ones) are woven by hand, and might be
      interesting. If I have time, I'll find some examples for you. There
      are even some pretty cools ones where you weave with beads embedded in
      the weave.

      -Ii
    • Chibasama Ryuichiro
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 15, 2010
        I made a hat using some basket weaving techniques. I'm sure it's not
        period, but with a little research, it might be something she enjoys.

        Live, Love, Learn!
        -Chiba

        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 15, 2010
          Found this online about knitting in Asia (at least in China), which
          really kind of surprised me in that they specifically claim it didn't
          come in until the 19th or 20th century.

          http://knittingkninja.com/category/knitting-history/

          Kind of surprising; I would have thought at least some nalbinding,
          etc. might have made its way into the trade routes.